Alternator preference for L110

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:52 am

Alternator preference for L110

I'm wanting to switch stock 6v electric to 12V. I've read several posts and all say a GM alternator will do. So, is there a model number that some of you have used and would recommend? Also, since I'm not mechanically inclined, I need more details. I'm aware that my gauges will need a 12v to 6v reducer and I'll have to get 12V lamps, but what happens with my stock fuel pump? Just bought a new $200 tank so may need a 12v external fuel pump too(?). Like I said, don't know what I'm doing but I'll learn.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: Alternator preference for L110

stock fuel pump is mechanical on side of engine block, no issue
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:44 pm

bedrockjon wrote:stock fuel pump is mechanical on side of engine block, no issue

Great! One down, some more to go.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:17 pm

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... remy.shtml These Delco alternators like to start at a slightly higher RPM. You may have to "blip" the throttle when the engine is started to "light-the-fire-" in the alternator.
GM/Delco made these alternators in the tens of millions. I used to buy then for $10 at the auto recyclers. When I converted our R120 to 12 volts, this is the alternator I bought.
My favorite auto wrecker used to remove, clean and catalogue hundreds of GM pulleys. I was always able to find a pulley that could be adapted to my Old IHC engines. This made converting to a more modern narrow "V" belt easy.
The 1947 Ford Flathead V8 in my 1940 Ford has been converted to multi-rib serpentine belts and pullies.
I discovered there was millions of dollars of great engineering in the cars at the wreckers. While taking some parts, take a few pictures to look at later. A picture dopes not miss anything, a scanning eye may miss a lot.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:44 am

If you want the original look and don't mind spending a few extra bucks to get it, you might look at the Powermaster alternator http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/index.html They are sold on ebay, Jegs and Summit Racing

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:07 pm

I bought a POWER MASTER for my 1940 Ford Flathead V8. It was expensive. I thought. I paid $246 cdn. I was surprised and maybe a little disappointed when the PM alternator is a one wire system. If it works and lasts I will get over it. At $246, this is over 16 times more costly than a used and guaranteed GM Delco 10SI.
Attachments
AIR DAM MODIFICATION..jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:38 am

I'll be picking up an alternator this week, most likely. Thnx for the insight!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:42 am

Nice workmanship on the Ford! At that price, it does make the salvage yard/reman GM alternator seem like a dream come true.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:57 am

Speedway Motors sells a wide pulley for GM alternators, to fit the stock 5/8" wide belt:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-Alternator-5-8-Inch-Wide-Alternator-Belt-Pulley-Plain,1868.html
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:29 pm

I used one of those Speedway pulleys and a generic 3-wire, 63 amp 10SI. I used a bracket from a junkyard BG241 which originally had a Delco alternator. The only snag was I had to raise the bracket to clear the angled frame brace on the L-110. I used a 6"x6" piece of 3/8" plate to do this. It lined up perfectly with the crank pulley just by moving the holes vertically, no forward or backward adjustment needed. Also had to take about 1" of the stock tension arm and drill a new hole. It worked out well. Pretty sure you could lift the truck by the alternator. It charges great even at idle with headlights on.

IMG_00320002.JPG

IMG_05560001.JPG

You might notice that my ground and positive terminals LOOK reversed. This is because I originally had it set up for 6V positive ground. I need to re-do the red and black heat shrink.

One small bit of advice: the cheapo 10SI pigtails you can get at the auto parts stores are junk. I tried one and threw it away because it wouldn't lock into place. I ended up using a Delphi connector like this:

prd_82.jpg

Well worth the $10 or so after shipping. I don't recall where I bought it, but if you search Google you'll find them. The original Delco part number was 06294493.
Next

Return to L, R and S