Bleeding l110 master cylinder

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:44 am

Bleeding l110 master cylinder

How do I bench bleed my new master cylinder on my l110? Where could I get a tube that is equipped to fit tightly in the end of the master cylinder? I am having trouble because all the videos on YouTube of bench bleeding are of modern master cylinders with the brake line outlets coming out the sides, but the master cylinder for my l110 isn't like that.

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:42 am

Re: Bleeding l110 master cylinder

Good timing on this, I have some questions as well since I was trying to do the same thing yesterday.

I put a brass fitting on the end of the cylinder and made a piece of bent tubing to direct the fluid back to the reservoir. Pumped the piston with a long 1/2 inch bolt. Seemed to work. The thread on the end of the master cylinder is 1/2-20. Or you could put the stock two-port brass fitting on and use one of the ports with the other blocked off. One side is 1/2-20 and the other is 1/8-27 NPT.

I have another question that maybe someone can help with:

After bleeding the cylinder of air, the piston returns to the home position rather slowly. Is this normal? If I tip it so air gets back in, it returns very quickly. This behavior tells me that a small orifice or check valve is allowing fluid (or air, when run dry) back in, and the fluid takes longer since it is so much more viscous. I assume that once the entire system is bled, the brake return springs will force that fluid back faster and the master piston will act more "normal". Am I thinking through this correctly? I understand the basic idea of how the cylinder works, I just don't have a good reference for what "normal operation" is. Never done this part before.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:28 pm

yes, that is pretty much it, after bench bleeding I recommend capping off the end while installing otherwise it will pee all over you and the frame and the floor,

also recommend starting the nut of the brake line in Before tightening master all the way down, give you a little play to get threads to line up,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:29 pm

This may be incorrect but I didn't bench bleed my master cylinder...I bled the line to the closest tire, left front. It probably look longer to get the air out of
line and MS as a result...I can't remember but it works fine. I'm not saying it is right to do this...just that it worked for me.
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Return to L, R and S