Bringing the '52 Home

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:14 am

Re: Bringing the '52 Home

Quote: Are the dimensions for a '51 same as '52?

In all the years I’ve been coming to this site, I’ve never seen anyone enter information that would indicate any measurement difference between a ‘51 & a ‘52. Obviously a long bed is different from a short bed, but ‘51’s & ‘52’s are the same, in either catagory. The only reported difference a ‘50 has is the hidden door hinges. So ‘50 - ‘52 short beds are the same and ‘50 - ‘52 long beds are the same. And if you discount the sheet metal, you can add ‘53, ‘54 chassis to that list and possibly ‘55 & ‘56. When you get to the bigger models, you could get into more variations, but you only asked about 110 series. And this info does not consider those that were modified for 4x4 or specially built cabs or any other post manufacturer modification.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:05 pm

I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:53 am

the '50-'57 L-R-S 110 and 120 had two different wheelbases. The short bed was on a 115" wheelbase chassis, and the long bed was on a 127" wheelbase chassis. The 9-foot pickup bed on the L-R-S 130 series was on a 134" wheelbase chassis.

This is why the '67-72 Chevy Suburban [127"wb chassis] is sometimes used for a frame swap for the long-bed pickups.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:05 pm

Thanks everybody for the tips and pointers.

Looking at the specs, it's 100 lbs/inch for the long bed. Wow, 1200 lbs. That gives a nice performance boost. But it looks like a pain to change.

My frame is sprung under the bed. The front bumpers had at one point hit something and bent the frame up there on both sides. I'm thinking that I will do a frame swap and get modern brakes and power steering to boot. I like the custom chassis from a place near here (Art Morrison). I could change it to anything I want. I downloaded a bunch of pictures of '52's, looks like the biggest thing is on the short beds the spare tire cuts into the wheel well. But it could be an R110 instead of L110.

Of course, I'm just thinking and dreaming, nothing happening anytime soon. I'm still thinking about working to get her turning over and started. Ack, I have to buy a new battery. (Yeah, I know there's a pile more stuff to it than a battery...)

Mark
52 L112, the truck I learned to drive on now sits in my barn.
What I do with it is the next adventure.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:58 am

Always my suggestion, get it running if possible and driving if you can, drive it around like that for a bit, Then plan what you would like/want to do. Measure, Measure, Measure, before you take apart and before you "buy" a different frame. Going from a ladder frame to a modern frame that is not that style will require much modification. Unless you set it up like a 4x4, you will lose bed depth. You will encounter issues with placement of steering and pedals. You will run into issues with gauges/senders(upgraded chassis/motor will more than likely require purchase of new items). Modification can be a long road with many changes because of other changes you make. If you will "stay" the course, great, another example of a great truck is still on the road, even with a body swap. If it becomes a Pile of parts, it saddens many of us. I have found someone to continue my vision on my L112, When done, I will drive it and then it will be sold. Too many years of just sitting, now it has a better chance at "life" than a pile of parts. Good luck in whatever you decide to do, keep at it and most of all ENJOY the journey!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:02 pm

Thanks!

Where does one buy oil filters, fuel pumps and carburetor rebuild kits? Napa doesn't list this truck anymore.

Mark

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:47 pm

check this link: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=264 There are several places to have a carb and fuel pumps rebuilt.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:12 am

The oil filter is a bypass sock type filter, Wix #51002, or Napa #1002 for the Wix filter, or Napa #CU406 for the Baldwin filter equivalent. For a fuel pump - Airtex #4459 or NAPA or Carter #M835. You may have either a Carter or Holley carb stock on a '52. Either way, Carbking, a regular on this forum, is the expert and has kits. www.thecarburetorshop.com

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:48 pm

Reminded of Scottso

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:54 pm

Hey Gots_a_sol and Nikkinnutshop,

These are great shots of how you shortened your chassis. I've found a donor frame, '79 Chevy 4WD, but those are 4.5" longer than the International. I think the extra brace going across is a good idea. I was thinking of an extra plate on the outside across the cuts/weld too. The weld should be as strong if not stronger than the original, but it's always a worry.

Well, we'll see if I actually get the donor truck. I saw one similar to it this weekend and the frame all looks like it will work.

Anybody with experience with a donor 3rd gen Chevy pickup? FYI I found a 2nd gen with the same exact wheelbase, but it hurts too much to discard the body. 4WD is a bonus for me.

Mark
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S