Adjusting valves

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:41 pm

Adjusting valves

Was hoping to get some information on to adjust the valves on a 51 international L110 with a silver 220 motor. I am going to be replacing the head gasket and exhaust and I tried looking on line and wasn't able to find anything on setting up the valves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:30 am

Re: Adjusting valves

When you start removing parts, keep them in order - #1 lifter, push rod, rocker arm, etc. There are exhaust valve rotators, little caps on top of the exhaust valves. Don't lose them, and especially don't drop them down a hole into the crankcase. Again, keep them in order for re-installation. After the head is removed, I'd suggest turning the crank so piston #1 is at top dead center on the compression stroke. (see that the distributor rotor is pointed at the #1 wire on the cap) and then with a scribe, paint, etc., mark a line on the bottom front of the crank pulley as 1/6. I'd do the same for 5/2 and 3/4, in other words, putting timing marks on the the crank pulley. Will help in the future when you're under there turning the crank to try to find TDC for a cylinder.

After you've installed the gasket and reinstalled the head and valve train, with piston #1 on TDC on the compression stroke, use a feeler gauge and set the exhaust (valve 1) and intake (valve 2) valves on that cylinder. The specs are for .018 to .020, "engine hot and idling". So allow a couple thousands extra since it's cold. You can also adjust valves 3, 5, 7 and 9 at that point. Then turn the crank one complete revolution and set valves 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, and 12. That should have you ready to fire it up. After any re-torquing of the head bolts, and when at least hot, if not idling, re-check and re-adjust the valves.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:11 pm

Thank you for all the information much appreciated

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:15 pm

Yes on all the above, And I'll add make sure you keep rocker stands and bolts in order too, one of them allows oil passage to rocker shaft,

if mixed up you can run a dry rocker,,,for a while
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to L, R and S