hinge mounted mirror

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:12 am

Re: hinge mounted mirror

This is very likely another situation where keeping it all original becomes a problem. Original may be different on another day on the assembly line. IHC most likely did not make the accessories. So when the supplier changed the design, so did the "original ".
If a person is not buying and using the stainless steel mirror stem, a little Never seize on the stem may prevent future corrosion. We used to get a lot of rain in this area. The adjustable stems I used rusted solid. I suppose it doesn't matter because adjustable is a one time use.
While not original, and convex mirror on the right side improves the view and the mirror vibration is less obvious.
I mentioned the rain we used to get. A summer monsoon was a regular event. We have not had rain in more than a month. Climate change is real.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:06 am

Here is what I have ended up with, I agree with Nick, a convex style lens would be better....I have contacted the seller about a convex style mirror to see if I can save the weight of gluing the local purchase convex spots on adding to the vibration issue, also I have ordered the brackets to shore the mirrors if the vibration is too much to make them usable....

Terrell
Attachments
IMG-2965.JPG
IMG-2962.JPG

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:10 am

Does anyone know why my pictures that I upload are correctly orientated when I upload them, but sideways when posted? This bugs me!

Terrell

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:18 am

Don't worry about it. When I enlarge the pictures they are correct. Your work looks perfect and OEM.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:42 pm

The pictures look good when you click on them and your install looks correct, nice work.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Terrell - Let us know how much vibration you get in your mirror and if those additional brackets help. Something I noticed is on the old mirror stalks I have it looks like the spacer is actually inside the bottom of the stalk. This makes that portion of the stalk a little fatter and probably cuts down on the vibration. But with yours already pressed that's probably not an option for you.
Previous

Return to L, R and S