Post Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:32 pm

Attaching wiper knob to a short stemmed switch

I had trouble getting the IHC wiper knob to work with the new switches that i bought, this is how I got them to work:

1- carefully pry the rolled edge back of the front stamped knob cover, from the knob body, starting where the tab from the spring comes out of the key way( only half way around, then it will pop off).
Discard the spring plate.

2-remove the insert( that has a set screw) from the plastic knob that came with the switch, discard the plastic knob.

3- trim the set screw so it is flush with the insert when mounted on a appropriate sized drill bit and use the drill to turn the insert while slowly trimming the insert to fit inside the IHC knob body using a grinder cutoff wheel. Do this slowly so you have a snug fit with the insert completely in the knob body.

4-mark and drill a hole that corresponds with the set screw of the insert while it is installed in the knob body. correspond the hole on the FLAT side of the IHC knob body

5- glue the insert in the IHC knob body using a set screw to align everything while drying.

6 -Clean and rough up the inside of the IHC knob body and the back side of the front stamped portion of the knob that was removed in step 1, test fit it to your switch so the word wiper is in the correct position, glue with 5 min epoxy, set it face down and use pliers to re crimp where the front was pried off of the knob.

Worked great for me! Now the knob will work with any switch that has a flat side for the set screw, without modifying the switch shaft

T
Attachments
IMG-Jul302018at83932AM.jpg
at the beginning of the process
IMG-Jul302018at84119AM.jpg
grinding the insert
IMG-Jul302018at84206AM.jpg
aligning the set screw
IMG-Jul302018at35551PM.jpg
the finished product