for those with the keystone turbo kit

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:24 pm

for those with the keystone turbo kit

thought i'd post my experience to help anyone with their tuning. I got a lot of help from cornbinder89 in figuring this out. the tuning starts here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9011&p=69419#p69419 . so after what was listed in that thread, I removed the intake to fix the intake leak at 5/6 intake and 6 exhaust. my manifold is not perfectly flat, close, but not perfect. I had a small gap on both ends but only the rear leaked as it's harder to tighten down. I had to use one of the allen bolts in the kit for the second to last bolt on the manifold. you might want to check yours. I was in a hurry as I had a car club function, so I just used a new felpro gasket with copper rtv on both sides and tightened it down starting on the outsides working in. yes I know that's backwards, but it worked for now till I have time to take it back off, disassemble and send to the machine shop. I referenced the power valve by drilling the cap out and JB welding a copper tube in place, then ran the tubing to the manifold. see picture. the cap is too small to thread for a fitting. it was $100 the first time on the dyno. I knew it would be the same next time and when I redo my air cleaner assm, it would be another $100, so I just bought a wide band gauge kit from amazon and installed it $185.00. 13.8 to 14.8 is in the center of the range for lean/rich, so I drove up and down the road, stopping/adjusting till I got it there. lower number is rich, higher number is lean (pict is just with key on, not running). you have to run off turbo (on vacuum around at least 7-8lbs) and steady for a bit to get it to settle out. it's trippy to watch it while your driving. even the slightest movement of the pedal changes it .
now no more lean when holding it on the turbo. power valve works like it should. I will note that I have the waste gate set at 5lbs for now. when I get the manifold surfaced, I'll bump it up to 7-8 lbs.
IMG_1689b.jpg
Attachments
IMG_1690b.jpg
1936 C1 Project

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:45 pm

Re: for those with the keystone turbo kit

The real question is: now that it is all dialed in, how do you like it? what do you think of the power? How would you rate it compared to the more common V8 swap?

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:30 pm

well, I do like it. I love the sound. I have a 2.5" straight pipe and NO muffler! sounds like a tractor! hahaha! it pulls hard. I have found a T19A for it and that will be nice when I get it in place of the T98. I just changed to 3:08 from 3:73 gears and its much better on the highway now. it's different and gets a lot of attention...."is there REALLY a turbo in there?"....haha

would I do it again instead of a v8... not sure. i just got to ride in a buddy's 36 Chevy p/u he just got running. 6.0 LS, 4l80e, 4 link 10 bolt with a posi, mustang 2 type front suspension. that thing rides soooo nice.

the disc brakes on mine are nice, but it still rides like a 1950 truck...... but, i sure love the way it sounds.
1936 C1 Project

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:01 pm

NA that truck would struggle with 3.08's, the turbo must really give it some grunt. I really like inline 6's they are so clean to work on. If I ever have more money for things like that, I'd really like to see how a 269 responds to forced induction.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:05 pm

and I have 31" tall tires
1936 C1 Project

Return to L, R and S