T-98 transmission

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:49 am

T-98 transmission

I currently have a T9 (says so on the case) - four speed - floor shift - non-synchro transmission sitting behind a BG241. Was thinking of getting a four speed synchro tranny - any suggestions on what to get?

Also, there is a T98 available local. Was reading that the T18 was the offspring of the T98 - does that make the T18 better (whatever that means) than the T98? Also, I read that though it can say T98 on the case - it can be a T18 on the inside, and one has to open the case to find out which one it is for sure. Any inputs on that?

I presume there are differences in the transmission input shafts between applications...and that I can just count the splines on the input shaft of the T9 I have, and measure the length of the shaft, to get a match that works? Is that correct?

Lastly, are there other choices of transmissions I should be considering?

Thanks for your help!
Heinz

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:11 pm

Re: T-98 transmission

I'll take a stab at this. A T-98 from an International will bolt in in place of the T-9, but may require some driveshaft shortening. From what I've seen, you can distinguish the T-98 from the T-18 and T-19 as the T-98 doesn't have a reverse light switch. Otherwise, unless you get a close ratio, the gearing is the same, but 1st gear is synchronized in the T-18's and 19's. You would probably need the front bearing retainer from a T-98. If you get a close ratio transmission, first gear is more useable, and the distance between 3rd and 4th isn't as great. Downside is that you have to do some adapting and switching parts if you want the transmission parking brake.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:44 pm

a T-98 front sleeve collar is 1/16 diameter bigger than a T-9,
I know on a KB you have to turn that piece down to fit into bellhousing, not sure on a L, R, S,

L, came with either transmission, by the time R came along T-9 was pretty much phased out, so a T-9 truck MAY have clearance for a T-98

you'll have to measure to be sure, but it's an easy swap, and yes, driveline needs to be shortened
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:48 pm

It looks like, from MT-63, MT-97 and MT-103, that the L's, R's and S's all used bellhousing 69 483 R21, so I'd suspect that a T-98 would have to fit in any of those, since we know they were in R's and S's. I think the difference with T-18's and T-19's is in the length of the collar, rather than the diameter.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:30 am

I recall when I picked up a T-19A close Ratio. Had to drill & tap out the casting bungs, whatever you call them, to get the brake and 4X4 brackets to work. But what a pleasure to drive compared to the T-98.
Attachments
T98A 003.JPG
T98A 001.JPG
T98A 002.JPG

Return to L, R and S