Oil Type?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:53 pm

Re: Oil Type?

Nikki, I usually check the API sticker on the back. In my personal experience I have gotten the best results with Mystic, Valvoline, and Castrol, they seem to not break down as quickly as a few of the other brands. Our old binders will take pretty much any modern oil without complaint though.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:16 pm

I buy what ever costs the less. Walmart and a dozen other retail distributors do not refine oil and package it. My brother was the CEO of a large American oil company. He said they sold oil, in bulk to a bunch of packaging companies who put other customer labels on the containers. Reading the specification, as you do, is always the best advice. I used to buy my 15/40 from Kenworth Trucks Parts. They sold Chevron in 20 litre pails. Walmat was a few dollars less for 15/40 with WALMART on the label.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:16 pm

I'm not sure who makes Wal-Mart's oil, I have bought a lot of Carquest oil because it is made by Valvoline. I have found that many will say who bottles the oil on the label somewhere. I avoid Pennzoil and Quaker State mostly because my dad was not a fan of either oil so I grew up with a bias against them.
46 K3
52 L110

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:31 pm

waltesefalcon wrote:I'm not sure who makes Wal-Mart's oil, I have bought a lot of Carquest oil because it is made by Valvoline. I have found that many will say who bottles the oil on the label somewhere. I avoid Pennzoil and Quaker State mostly because my dad was not a fan of either oil so I grew up with a bias against them.

Yea, it's funny how that works, I used Pennzoil exclusively way back when, then I had a GRD motor finally die, had nothing to do with the oil and more to do with being driven on the freeway up and down the west coast at high speeds with tons of miles on it already,

But since Pennzoil was in the pan at the time,,,,,,,,,never bought it again
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:12 pm

My Dad told me that his father bought a new Ford Model "T" in the 1920s. Grandfather could qualify ad Canada's Worst Driver and to prove this, he drove over a pile of rocks and punched a hole in the oil pan on his "T" pickup. Dad said, they pounded the pan as straight as they could and hammered wood wedges into the remaining leaks. A mixture of the remaining oil, laundry soap and water from the ditch kept the engine together until a new pan arrived from Medicine Hat, Alberta on the Canadian Pacific Railway. I don't suppose grandfathers mixture could be the first detergent oil? LOL
My home town of Orion, AB is listed as a ghost town with a population of 2 persons.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:21 pm

I was once told a story by an old timer who said he remembered his uncle once using a piece of bog skin as a rod bearing in his Model T while waiting for a new one to arrive. It is pretty crazy what some folks were willing to do to keep their cars on the road.
46 K3
52 L110

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:31 am

A coworker told me he replaced a babbit rod bearing in an old Chebbie truck with leather from the tonque of his shoe to get his load of firewood back home. Claimed he ran it that way for several months.

Personally, I quit using Phillips Trop Artic 10W30 when my oil pressure came up 15 psi on a hot summer day after adding a quart. The oil had less that 2000 miles on it and the viscosity improver was apparently already beginning to break down.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.
Previous

Return to L, R and S