Getting an R110 - sat for LONG time

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu May 10, 2018 9:43 am

Getting an R110 - sat for LONG time

I'm new to the forum. Thanks for having me. I'm somewhat handy with mechanics but I am by no means a professional. I do have lots of friends that are much better than me though.

My great grandmothers farm has what looks to be an IH R110 4 speed sitting in the corn crib. I don't think the farm is going to be in the family much longer so I started seeing what I might be interested in getting for sentimental reasons. Talked to my uncle and I'm looking to get the truck. Price is $1500 (lots of family). I'm probably not going to be able to go look it over for a couple weeks.

He told me the starter went out in it about 35 years ago and it has sat under roof ever since. I asked him if it has hydraulic brakes and he says it does but the lines are dry rotted. Has a little bit of rust here and there but is pretty solid overall.

I'm going to make a couple trips to look it over. What are the things on a truck like this that I should do or look over?

At this point I think the engine is what I'm worried about most. Should it be an SD220? Hard to find info on these trucks. With it having sat for 35 years should I try to start it or go straight to a tear down? I'm not sure yet if it is seized. It seems like it is a nightmare and $$$$$ rebuilding these old engines.

I would like to keep it as original as possible but if I decide to do an engine swap what is the best/easiest choice for these trucks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 10, 2018 11:49 am

Re: Getting an R110 - sat for LONG time

good looking sheet metal, engines are available, I think VWjake has a few,

pull off the starter, they are fairly easy to field repair unless drive gear exploded then to you need to rebuild it,

I'd pull plugs, squirt in some light oil or marvel or your choice, put a socket on front nut and see if it will budge,

if it isn't locked up do a search on waking up a sleeping engine, you can read all the steps, I'd mess with it before deciding you need a new engine.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 11, 2018 5:53 am

Looks like a good starting point. Mechanically, these old trucks are about as basic and simple as it gets. Brake hoses [flex hoses] are available, and the steel line might best be replaced by the newer nickel/copper line that won't rust like steel and will last dern near forever [I'm told]. Brake DRUMS are scarce, but they're out there.

Good luck!

EDIT: That S-bend in the brake line nearest the master cylinder is a rough one to duplicate in steel. I hear the new stuff bends a tad easier, but a tubing bender is a good investment anyway.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 11, 2018 7:42 am

I'd like to second BedRockJohn's advice. Before pulling that one apart or searching for a new one I would follow his steps. If it isn't frozen you will likely be able to get it fired up and running again.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri May 11, 2018 8:43 am

Thanks for the input.

A couple questions regarding putting something in the cylinders.
1. It seems like there are a lot of different "lubes" to use and all are recommended. Is there any one that is supposed to work better than the other? At this point I was leaning towards either PB or MMO. I've also read about mixing ATF with PB or MMO. That's getting creative.
2. I was actually going to buy a gallon jug of whatever I decide to use and fill em up and then each day add a couple squirts. Is that overkill?

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri May 11, 2018 9:06 am

Looks a straight, solid truck from what i can see in the pic.
As Bedrockjon said, don't write off the motor that's in there yet, you may be lucky/pleasantly surprised.....i recently bought a car had stood and not run/moved/driven for forty two years.....i knew the engine was not seized because i had turned it slightly by hand and it moved. But because of the time it stood, still did not know its condition, i changed the oil, removed the plugs and squirted several squirts of engine oil from a can down the cylinders, left several days and repeated. Then when i was ready to give it a try, turned it by hand several times, disconnected the spark and spun it over using the starter. I then cleaned the points, primed the gas from a can and it fired right up, using the gas can as the tank was corroded/fuel off. There was a bit of tappet noise initially with smoke from the exhaust, which burned off after a few minutes of running due to the exhaust burning it.
My mate was there...i said it sounded great considering how long it sat, was really pleased, he commented on the tappet noise initially, i told him "car has not started in forty two years, you get tappet noise when some engines stand for a few weeks!!
If unsure, you could use something more like the marvel oil, diesel etc.
Paul.
52 IH L112
68 OLDS 4-4-2
68 TORINO GT INDY 500 PACE CAR

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri May 11, 2018 9:12 am

green68 wrote:Looks a straight, solid truck from what i can see in the pic.
As Bedrockjon said, don't write off the motor that's in there yet, you may be lucky/pleasantly surprised.....i recently bought a car had stood and not run/moved/driven for forty two years.....i knew the engine was not seized because i had turned it slightly by hand and it moved. But because of the time it stood, still did not know its condition, i changed the oil, removed the plugs and squirted several squirts of engine oil from a can down the cylinders, left several days and repeated. Then when i was ready to give it a try, turned it by hand several times, disconnected the spark and spun it over using the starter. I then cleaned the points, primed the gas from a can and it fired right up, using the gas can as the tank was corroded/fuel off. There was a bit of tappet noise initially with smoke from the exhaust, which burned off after a few minutes of running due to the exhaust burning it.
My mate was there...i said it sounded great considering how long it sat, was really pleased, he commented on the tappet noise initially, i told him "car has not started in forty two years, you get tappet noise when some engines stand for a few weeks!!
If unsure, you could use something more like the marvel oil, diesel etc.
Paul.

So there is hope. I know I have the cart before the horse here but I'm excited and won't be able to get this truck until at least next weekend. Planning ahead.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 31, 2018 4:26 pm

I concur.....that looks like a great starting point. The grill/front fender look outstanding. My guess...like others have pointed out, that that thing will fire up no problem as long as it isnt frozen. Get ALL the fluids changed out as best you can

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 31, 2018 5:11 pm

The tappet noise will never go away. The tappets are solid, not hydraulic. In days past, I would use a dial gauge tp set the tappet clearance Because a flat feeler gauge may not be the best choice on well worn contact surface between a rocker and valve stem.
Good on you for thinking ahead with the oil change.
These trucks are rougher than a badger 's asre, so don't expect any comfort. The fun factor is high.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:43 am

It seems like there has been a ton of rain lately and I haven't been able to go get it. I prefer to do it a day when there is not a likely chance of rain. At this point I'm chomping at the bit.

Oh, and it appears from talking with my uncle this is actually an R-112.
Next

Return to L, R and S