Bone yards in ND and Montana

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu May 03, 2018 10:14 pm

Bone yards in ND and Montana

I need a tailgate for my 55 R-112. I will be taking a road trip through N Dakota and Montana at the end of May and I expect I could find one out there if I know where to look.

Any suggestions for good junk yards or IHC collectors in those states that might have what I am looking for ?

All suggestions are most welcome

Thanks in advance !!

Blue Collar Bill

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri May 04, 2018 10:06 pm

Re: Bone yards in ND and Montana

There's one just a couple miles ( maybe not even that far------- one mile--???? ) just west of Minot, N. Dak. on U.S. Route 2. North side of the highway,
plainly visible. You could throw a stone and hit the nearest cars in the yard. Oodles of old iron !!!!!!!!!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 05, 2018 7:34 am

Its a coupla miles west, 1.5-2 miles west of the Flying J. Be Aware that most of that area was flooded a few years back, and not likely a problem for a tailgate, other stuff my not have faired so well.
In Hilger, MT there is a yard, I am not sure it is a Junk yard, may be more of an IHC hoarder that has a lot of stuff from the 50's and 60's. I've never approached the owner about selling anything so don't know how well it would go. Hilger is only 3 square blocks, so wouldn't be hard to find it.
Junk yard in Mt are few and far between, most ranches just put stuff in the hedge row to decay, so never make it to a yard.
I used to have the name and number for a guy in Gordon, NE that was another hoarder of all things IHC. He has some nice stuff sitting in a yard on US 20 just east of the center of town. Gordon Greenmeyer was his name IIRC
Then there is a guy west of Lewistown, MT between there and Moore on the north side of Hwy 200, I think Bedrockjohn has dealt with him.
Out in MT you'd likely do best asking a local if they know of someone who might have what you want. As I said most stuff never ends up in a "yard" and there might be someone who can give you an intro to a rancher that might have what you want, and being able to say "Joe X" sent me, and said you might have....
I know or at least knew of where there was a Sightliner, in Lewistown, and that's a rare truck anywhere in the US.
Attachments
sight6.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 06, 2018 8:02 am

I know of one in Dawson Minasota , you can call ahead . Close to the border of North Dakota . Shanes auto parts 3207692086 . Have you tried a search on google earth ? I'll give it a try and get back .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 06, 2018 8:11 am

Give it a try , pretty amazing really . The one I mentioned was not on it so its not completly acurate but certainly worth a shot , gives phone numbers , we are in a new age .

Return to L, R and S