Specs on L-112 drum brakes

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:50 pm

Specs on L-112 drum brakes

I have four drum brakes for an L-110. Are these the same drums as for an L-112? I'm trying to figure out if they can still be turned? I looked all over the drums and backing plates and can not find any specs - like one would on a modern day disc. I called a few shops and their books don't go back that far. Are there any resources available to find out how far the drums can be turned and still be good?

Thanks,
Heinz

Also, if I was to sell these four compete sets (drum through backing plate) - what would they be worth?
Attachments
Brakes.jpeg

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:22 pm

Re: Specs on L-112 drum brakes

Modern spec is .060" over the "as new" diameter, but that means you have to know the original diameter. In the past, some shops would turn all the way to .080" over on bigger drums. Not an area where I would try getting very experimental.

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:37 pm

I couldn’t find a number in the service manual. But the new drums I got for the rear axle on my L-110 are marked for .060” over. Pretty typical it seems.

Brake hardware is the same on L-110, 111, and 112. It’s just the GVW rating from the spring packs that makes them different.

The old backing plates are probably worth their weight in steel unless you find a desperate customer. My guess is most people swap rear axles and put discs up front if that stuff is missing or damaged.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat May 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks gents!

Return to L, R and S