sd 220 oil pressure

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:06 pm

sd 220 oil pressure

Just got my new to me sd 220 engine mounted on my frame and cranked it over for the first time, not to fire but to make sure everything turned the way it's supposed to. Everything seems good but I don't seem to be getting any oil pressure on my guage and wondered if this is normal? I did switch guages from the ih one to a mechanical one to test and no difference. I'm getting a dribble of oil out of the oil sensor plug on the block (not under any kind of pressure though), seem to have oil in the oil filter, nothing at the valve cover though. Is this normal under engine cranking speed and the pressure will come up as it's running or is there a potential problem i'm looking at?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Re: sd 220 oil pressure

I think you’re doing fine for cranking speeds for no longer than you probably cranked it. The top end s the last thing to get oil. As long as the block is level and the valleys are clear you can run the engine without the valve cover on to observe the oil drilling down from the rocker shafts. In the meantime I’d bathe into in a qt of oil and fire it up. It’s likely just fine. Idle/run oil psi can be all over the place, but I think a min of 10-15 psi hot idle and 30-40 hot running and it’ll survive. My NOS BG265 runs 45 hot idle and 60 hot running down the road at 3k.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Return to L, R and S