VIN number location?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:42 am

Re: VIN number location?

You have my sympathy on this issue. I have not bought parts or restoration truck projects if the don't have a clear title. The Ohio title folks are not, or care not to be, educated on the older vehicles. My last one I had a good title but would not except the door tag as the approved location for a VIN #. I finally convinced them that the door pillar was part of the cab. According to the local official they must be attached to the cab of the truck. I have found the best way is to get the inspection done at a used car dealership, the smaller the better. Then take the inspection form to the title dept to get the new title. The sheriffs office or Highway Patrol will do it but it is a pain to get them to do it. I have had 3 done in Ohio all with clear titles and still had issues with each one. The number is on the frame as others have indicated. It should also be on the tag in the cab or door. Good luck!!!
Terryl51
Retired
1951 L-112 International Long Bed. Stock as I could make it!! 1974 200 3/4 ton bonus load to pull it with!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:51 am

The State Inspector is telling me, "On the Title, there's a VIN# and it doesn't match anything on the truck.
Yes, the SN# on the Door Plate matches what's stamped on the frame, but that SN# is not on the Title paper work..."
I have yet to call the Sherriff.
Thanks for the sympathy :)
1953 R-120
4 spd, Long bed 220 ci

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:10 am

SO, do you have the old (Mich) title in hand? what does it list for a VIN? As I said before, many vehicles were titled off the engine number, for my K-7 is was something like this: K7BLD269xxxxx the truck model was 1st followed by the engine series and then the engine serial number. Why they did it that way is unknown.
If yours starts similar, and the data plate matches the stamped numbers, all the numbers should be present on the truck. (truck series, engine series, engine serial, chassies serial) the hard part might be getting some cop to figure that out
If your title matches nothing, and previous owner "bought" a title to something then good luck, you have no paper claim to the truck in question.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:31 am

So, wait, are you saying Mich puts a number on file, but doesn't print that number on the title? How the heck are you supposed to verify what your are buying? What use is a title if it can't be verified? I always check serial numbers against title before paying for any vehicle. If they don't match, no sale! I bought one vehicle on a "bill of sale" from a junkyard, and that was because it was so rare and I wanted to save it from scrap, I did have the bill of sale notarized before money changed hands.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:58 pm

Since my title was a "rebuilt" title from the 70's, the VIN number given to the truck at that time was a made up/generated number from the state of Iowa. It matches 0 items/plates/#'s on the truck. i was worried about this when i tried to go and get it retitled, but i didn't have an issue.

I bought a "VIN Number" plate off ebay and had the # on the title etched onto it and then attached it to the cab. Worked for me at least. At least you'll have something on the cab with the right numbers. Could at least get you by.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DATA-PLATE-VIN ... 9l&vxp=mtr

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:09 pm

gravydude, Since old trucks were titled using serial numbers, engine numbers, and a combination of model and serial or engine numbers, I think the information on the title is on the truck. The next logical question would be, "What is the vin number as it appears on the title"? Tell us what it is and maybe we can decipher it and tell you where the information is to be found on the truck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:59 pm

If you are worried about posting the whole number, just use xx's for the last 4 or 5 digits.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:21 pm

I have a Certificate of a Michigan title and an application for a title.

Totally dig the Vin tag on Ebay!!
1953 R-120
4 spd, Long bed 220 ci

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:52 am

I need a little help all i have is a title and a bunch of parts and trying to figure out what model they are to and if they will fit other models. Title is a 1957 i know the truck was a small dump truck thats all i know
Thanks
Wallyi

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:15 am

My 1957 small dump truck title # is S132S122378 can anybody tell what model it is and will parts fit any pickup models
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S