VIN number location?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:53 am

VIN number location?

Could someone help me on finding the VIN # on my 53 R120?
It's not on the door tag. The Ohio title office will transfer a title until I locate the VIN.

Thank you
1953 R-120
4 spd, Long bed 220 ci

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:15 am

Re: VIN number location?

My Canadian made R120 had the number stamped on the frame just ahead of the steering box mounting. This would be the left side. I hope this helps you.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:24 am

I found this four digit number in front of the steering box, and that matches my chassis serial number, not my VIN.
Is there more numbers I should be seeing?
1953 R-120
4 spd, Long bed 220 ci

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:54 am

gravydude wrote:I found this four digit number in front of the steering box, and that matches my chassis serial number, not my VIN.
Is there more numbers I should be seeing?

1st of all there is no such thing as a VIN on vehicles this old, they had serial number only. Many were titled off the engine seral number and this will be shown on the paperwork and the data tag. It starts with the engine series and displacement followed by the engine serial number
VIN is a "modern thing".
Either the engine number or the chassie number should match the paperwork you got when you bought the truck, if you got nothing but a bill of sale, I pity you, from what I've heard Ohio is a pain for "undocumented" vehicles.
Modern 17 digit VIN's came out in the 80's and serial numbers were used until the 60's after which, more and more data was included in the serial until the 17 digit was standadized.
You need to find someone at the DMV who understands older vehicles.
Last edited by cornbinder89 on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:56 am

Outside vertical face of the frame, drivers side, 6 inches back from front hanger of front spring. Use penetrating oil or rust remover, it will be very faint, it will have model number and chassis serial number

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:59 am

It's amazing to me that when dealing with clerk's offices that they cannot understand the history of their own records. Duh! There wasn't a vin number in 1953. There was a serial number and vehicles were titled based on the serial number. I have 8 IH's from the 50's and all are titled. When getting the titles transferred or created it took a little while to convence the clerk to use the serial number. She said but I've got to have 17 digits and the serial number is only 4. I said let's do something really creative here. Can you hit the number zero thirteen times and then enter the four digit serial number? She said, "Well, that works". Duh! I always went back to the same lady to title the other 7. I've had several people call me asking how I got my trucks titled and I give them the same story. Good luck!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:34 pm

Washington state is easier, my Diamond T only had 4 digits, my 1941 K-1 panel only had 3 on chassis number, but engine number was title number,

there is one lady in my town who is a pain, she wanted me to pay to get an appraisal on a 53 panel truck, if I go in and she's working I turn around and go back out,

other one is nice, she looks at my title application and says "International? my grandpa liked those, boy are they ugly" then does the paperwork,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:02 pm

Thank you all for your input!
I've been running in circles trying to get this title tranfered from Michigan to Ohio. Been trying off and on for three years now.
I do not have a serial number printed on the existing title so no one here will help me.
Cheers.
1953 R-120
4 spd, Long bed 220 ci

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:26 pm

I'm not sure how things work where you live but if here, I would ask the clerk to have the sheriff's office inspect the vehicle. The sheriff or deputy would have to put all relevant information pertaining to the vehicle on the form. The clerk might accept the sheriff's document and generate a title. Here, no inspection is required if transferring a title only. If the vehicle is to be licensed after the new title is created, it must be inspected. Just a thought.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:09 am

Ok, I will give that a try Dan.
Thank you
1953 R-120
4 spd, Long bed 220 ci
Next

Return to L, R and S