'56 S-120 Water Pump

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:48 am

Re: '56 S-120 Water Pump

When I bought my '52, the water pump didn't have a fitting for the heater hose. Nor was there a pipe plug I could remove to install a fitting. Rather than drill and tap a casting with an unknown history, I purchased a reman pump [that was 30 years ago] WITH the fitting.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:51 am

bedrockjon wrote:
stickman207 wrote:Was there a certain year that IH stopped calling them SD and started calling them SD?- Stickman 207

BD is a engineering upgraded SD motor, I think mostly with oil filter being flow thru rather than bypass, SD were all straight valve BD was either straight or tilt valve,

then BG was upgraded BD, I'm not sure what it entailed and if they were only tilt, someone else may know more,

Once IH went to the tilt-valve head and corresponding pistons, they didn't go back. Not sure what else was different between the tilt-valve BD's and the BG's besides the crankcase ventilation system [PCV vs. road-draft tube].
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks, I'm not that familiar with BG, I've had more than my share of SD though
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:31 pm

I hate to show my ignorance here, but there's no way around it: I know that " SD " means " Silver Diamond " ---------so, what does " BD " and " BG " mean ? Does the " B " mean " Black " or " Blue ", or maybe even " Brown " ? And, what does the " G " mean ???

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:36 pm

BD was black diamond, I THINK BG was blue green? I don't know for sure on BG

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:11 am

did you order the water pump from the tractor place ?? kevin from KY

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:03 pm

I just got this water pump today from O'reilly's . It is very similar. The bottom hose connection is angled down versus on my original pump it goes straight out. But the hose goes down anyway so I don't think it will be an issue. Also there are several ports in this new pump but it comes with plugs to close them off. I will have to add a connection for the heater core hose and a spacer on the end of the shaft. Other than that it looks like it will fit great. I don't have it installed yet but I held it up to the engine and all the bolt holes line up great.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/mu ... 0?q=cp3703

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:24 pm

If it turns out to work well, please post it up in the "parts" area at the beginning of this forum as a good alternative.

Thanks

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:58 pm

I will definitely let you all know. It will be at least a week before I get it installed.

I think that my grandpa maybe spray painted the valve cover at some point because the black paint is now flaking off and it is getting rusty. I decided to take it off and get it powder coated while I am doing all this other work.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:06 pm

is the pulley height same as your old one? fan belt line up with crank?
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S