weird R grill,

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Re: weird R grill,

I agree with NNS. I may be pointing out minutia, but in the top photo, there is a round hole - supposedly - for the parking light. I might add that hole is so close up under the headlight bezel it’d be hard to imagine what kind of trim would fit around it and not interfere with the headlight bezel.

In the bottom photo, there are some clues that lead me also to agree that it is of Australian or British origin. 1. It also seems to show the steering wheel on the right. It’s very vague, but to corroborate, that vague notion, there is only one exterior rear view mirror - on the right side! 2. There is no hole under the headlight on the left side. The questionable light bezel hides the same area on the right side. (I support NNS contention that the bezel is just some errant bezel randomly placed on the light.)
3. There are two smaller surface mounted lights - one white lens, one amber lens - under the left headlight and while the amber light is visible under the right headlight, the potential white lens light is probably covered be the errant bezel.
4. Did anyone notice the 130 or 140 size front right wheel?

I’ll openly admit that I’m not an expert on R grills, but I can certainly see the differences in the two grills. And to see a common example of an R grill, go to the “Diamonds in the Rough” section for a recent entry regarding an R model. And last, that is an L hood over the R grill. An L grill has a raised section to fit into the square notch under the hood ornament. The R hood doesn’t have the notch.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:39 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:The two grill are not the same.

He didn't claim that they are the same, he send the second pic, thinking maybe this is the bezel he needs, he agrees after looking closely that isn't even a bezel in second picture,

he's gonna remove bezel from his grill (first picture) and send me pics of grill front and back, then this may be solved,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:46 am

1953 Buick Special?
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:38 am

Buzz, I believe you are correct that bezel looks like the Buick headlight bezel. Been so many years since I had my 54 Roadmaster.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:33 pm

update on weird R grill,

guy sent me some pictures, I have no idea,

one guy suggested some sort of design prototype? looks to be factory done, unless some home shop guy is extremely talented,

Ideas?
Attachments
received_177099472914835.jpg
received_177099462914836.jpg
received_177099436248172.jpg
received_177099436248172(1).jpg
received_177099412914841.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:20 pm

Could they be for some non-sealed beam headlights? The buckets don't look like they would accept a std 7" sealed beam. Can't see any align the headlight, unless the bucket for the sealed beam is supposed to sit in the recess?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:09 am

Yea, first pic he sent had original style trim ring and headlight, so I think factory headlight bucket bolts to the tabs you can see,

My thought was maybe military application to protect headlights from tire thrown rocks,
But that doesn't explain the round moulded in parking light and military probably wouldn't have chromed ornament.

It is interesting

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:48 pm

jon, is there any way you can message this guy and ask him, " Yes or no, are these grilles from some country other than the USA ? "

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:57 pm

he said he got it from a guy near Portland, he sent a picture of the truck in parts, guy said it was a 1955, and cab is big window,

I don't know I can ask him if there is a tag on the cab he can look at?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:45 pm

Found a couple of pictures with grills that do not have lights showing under headlight, Looked further in their pages and found they had filled them in. Could this grill have had that done, and then added the "cans" on the back?
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S