Help Needed - '54 R-110...what do I have on my hands?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Re: Help Needed - '54 R-110...what do I have on my hands?

International also mounted spare under the box between rear section of the frame,

You May even have the frame part of it there, just need the hanger,

Just mentioning if you don't want a tire on the side of the box

I personally think that the truck looks better without sidemount,

But not my truck,,,,,,,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:28 am

Mine is one of the under bed mount ones that only retains the piece riveted to the frame. I've also just had the spare ride along in the bed.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:56 am

Wow - lots if info. Thank for everything. Lots of comical posts and offers of info. I'm learning as much as I can...and am seeing what I can find in regards to the spare tire carrier/rim. AND....I've added my location :P

I have searched (really I have), but have a few completely ignorant questions pertaining to this era of truck/engine.

1) If I need to add oil for the engine, what do you suggest (or what should it take)? I've been warned about detergents, and then read a couple of threads where they say it doesn't make a difference. Weight? I'm changing it very soon anyways - but still have no idea what kind to use

2) Do these look like stock rims? I ask because a lot of the pictures I see out there of this model line have the same rims with trim and red color:

tire.JPG
Rims?

Are there replacements that come close to what these look like?

3) It appears as if I have the stock bench seat. With our dog, I'd love to pick up a simple seat cover. Any reco's or sizing info out there? (Preferably Saddle Blanket Style)

I think that's it for now - I'm sure there'll be more.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:05 pm

1. There will likely be a variety of responses to this query. My opinion would be for the age and mileage of this “old” technology engine, 30 weight, detergent. I could be drummed of the internet, but I would think non-detergent oil would be difficult to obtain in this day and age.

2. Tough to say for sure if those are original rims. I think the trim rings are not factory, but they look good. The hub cap appears original and with the way it attaches to the rim, seems logical to be original cap and rim. Post a photo of the rim without the hub cap and we’ll see if it looks original. If there’s a tube inside the tire, would be another clue to originality. Rims from that era were not tubeless. The valve stem will indicate which way it is.
(I have a photo of an original rim/tire, however, I am currently out of town and my laptop is at home. Otherwise I’d post it for you to compare.)

3. While the bench looks OE, I can’t help with this one. Try a technical school and see if they offer upholstery classes. There may be a student eager for a project for the cost of materials or ....?
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:46 pm

15w-40 diesel engine oil would be another option.We use it on the farm in all of our equipment including old trucks and tractors.
I got a seat cover from O'Reilly Auto Parts , bench seat, saddle blanket style, one size fits all for my 52 L130.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:24 pm

Detergent is a mis-nomer, It should be called "suspension" or non suspension oil, "detergent" oil keeps dirt in suspension to be removed by a FULL FLOW oil filter, Non Detergent oil does not and allows the crud to settle to the bottom of the sump, and was used when only a bypass filter was fitted.
Today almost all quality engine oil is detergent type. If you are worried about using it pull and clean the pan, then go ahead.
I use 15w-40 in warm weather in my K's and 10w-40 in cool.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:03 am

Thanks all - good info to have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:08 am

I've always run 30w but I live in warm country, if I lived in Michigan I'd probably switch to a decent multi-weight in the winter.

The rims could very well be stock, I think a photo without the trim rings and hubcaps could help us determine if they are stock or not a little better. I wouldn't replace any unless they are damaged, they seem to take the hubcap well and even if they aren't they at least look stock for all intents and purposes.

Mexican blankets make for decent seat covers, I haven't seen a prefab seat cover as narrow as these benches in awhile but then again I haven't looked for one in a couple of decades.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:50 pm

OK- How about headlights?

Are there good replacements that will fit? (realizing wiring might be another story)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:53 pm

How about 7" sealed beam, they are still available new in both 6 and 12 volt? 6006 six volt, 6015 and others for 12 volt.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S