My batteries keep dying and won't recharge!

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Re: My batteries keep dying and won't recharge!

I put a Group 4 in my '41 K-7, if you have a big enough box to hold it, it is what I would use. It will not fit the stock box but the bigger K's it is easy to add a bit and fit a 4. My '48 K7 is as close to stone stock as a 70+ year old truck could be, I use a Group 2 in that one.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:17 am

So... to finish this up .. went to Interstate battery and they said that the battery I had in my truck WAS a 6 volt group 4 . I put in a new one . Thinking back , I was pretty sure that the conversation at the time of purchace of the old batteryI was thinking I was getting an 8 volt battery , the part number is Exide 4V , has 3 fill caps . WHATEVER ! If I continue to forget as much as I learn on this site I will remain in a stacic condition , an infomation exchange , sort of . If I were 15 and did not have that problem I would be getting smarter and smarter , hang in there EmanM18 !

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:59 am

Remember...NONE of us started out with the level of knowledge we have today.

Don't get discouraged.

If I was in your shoes--as I once was-- I'd concentrate on getting what I have lined out and running. THEN worry about making any changes. Because if what it takes to get the truck running initially is outside your budget, why ADD the cost of converting anything? Converting to 12V, while it may make sense, may be foolish if you can't get and keep the truck running to begin with. Just remember that 6 volts is half the volts, so it takes twice the amps to do the same job. So that requires heavier wiring to carry the current.

Here's a great textbook on the subject of automotive electrical systems...AND it covers direct-current [DC] fundamentals as well: https://www.textbooks.com/BooksDescript ... QAOKAKAS2B . That's the text we used at the technical college where I got my degree.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:55 am

All lead acid type automotive batteries are 2.2 volt per cell, so 3 vent caps for 6 volt and 4 for 8 volt and 6 for twelve etc.
A group 4 is really more than is required to start a 308 but the extra capacity is nice.
Previous

Return to L, R and S