Wiper motor

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Wiper motor

My 1951 L110's wiper motor will only move one blade about 6 inches up the glass. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 pm

Re: Wiper motor

I assume you have a vacuum motor, if you want to go modern, I hear good feedback on this electric system.
https://newportwipers.com/product/1950- ... wiper-motor

I think captonbob rebuilds vacuum motors? He is a member, do a search.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:47 pm

if you turn on wipers with motor running, and lay on your back and look up at wiper motor you'll see a spot with felt, that is the atmosphere inlet for the vacuum motor,

get a can of WD-40 with the straw, spray tiny bit at a time up in the felt opening, (wear eye protection!) move wipers thru their range of motion, repeat,

the usually loosens them up, you can also remove assembly pretty easily ant take it apart to clean/lube, be extra careful with the gasket between the top and body of the motor, it has to be airtight,

Or, rebuilt unit https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-50-51-52- ... Wz&vxp=mtr

Or upgrade to electric motor using your original vacuum hardware, this is designed to bolt right up, no fabrication, https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-56-Intern ... gd&vxp=mtr
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:24 pm

I had my vacuum wiper motor apart - 40 years ago now. It does need to be air tight but the interior flapper has a leather seal that needs to be pliable and hold a “seal” as well. The movement back and forth of the flapper is critical to the operation of the motor. No movement, no wipers. I used petroleum jelly to lubricate the flapper seal.
I also discovered that the vacuum motor from a ‘65 AMC Ambassador is a direct replacement for the IHC unit. So I would think it safe to say there are others that would swap in too.
Since then when my truck was rebuilt, I ordered an electric wiper unit from Newport Engineering. It likewise is made as a direct replacement for the vacuum motor. Disconnect the arms from the vacuum motor, take it out, place the electric motor in it’s place, reattach the arms, install the electric motor wiring and switch and you’re in business. When you order, you specify 6 or 12 volt . When you order, you can discuss the positive or negative ground and they’ll fix you right up. It’s not hard at all as long as you don’t mind the price above $250.
Being the NE unit is a direct bolt in and I know the ‘65 Ambassador is exactly the same as the IH vacuum unit, I would be willing to guess the Ambassador electric units would work in the truck as well. Therefore, scroungers would save bucks with a used AMC electric motor, etc. You get the idea.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 pm

There's an ad in Hemmings Motor News every month, by wiperman.com
He will rebuild your vacuum motor for $99. He's in West Babylon, NY. I sent mine to him, and it works great. I love the idea of converting to electric, but I try to keep my expenses as low as possible, and didn't really trust myself to do that repair, especially since, at my age----- 70 + ----- I didn't want to remove & re-install the motor more than once, laying upside-down, trying to see into that dark area under the dash, cause I couldn't get enuf light in there, and dealing with arthritic hands.

Anyhow, that's my 2-cents worth.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:06 am

Thanks for the info will try them and let you know how it goes.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am

I rebuilt mine years ago and the thing I remember was the hardest to work with was the dried out seal on the flapper. I used mink oil on it until it started being pliable again and then greased it with lithium grease when I reassembled it.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:20 am

Check out the you tube post from Jeff Potter-Rat Rod windshield wiper problem solved....I got one from a junk yard for $20 bucks. as long as your linkage is good.

T

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:38 pm

Are the bushings that go in the linkage at the motor available anywhere? I'm not far enough along with mine to know if the motor functions but I do know the bushings are shot and partly missing. Very informative thread, so thanks for that.
Dennis

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:58 pm

I just replaced my vacuum wiper motor with an electric motor from Newport Engineering. I am not here to advertise for them but it was a pretty easy solution. Mechanically, it plugged straight into the vacuum motor's bracket and the wiper arms fit perfectly. After a little wiring everything is working great. You get 2 speeds. But it is a bit pricey!

Return to L, R and S