Determining Rear End Ratio - L-112

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Re: Determining Rear End Ratio - L-112

VWJake wrote:
cornbinder89 wrote:on't have to pull the cover and drain the oil, the tooth count is on the head of the pinion, when the r&p are mated, the tooth count is etched into the pinion, along with some other numbers.

On the fords as well? I didn’t notice that on mine.

I never saw any numbers on the head of the pinion of my Ford 8.8, only on the tag attached to the cover.
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Ok, I guess it is a bigger truck thing, I have seen it on various makes and models so thought it was more or less universal. I stand corrected. Sorry for any confusion.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:15 pm

Thank you everybody for your inputs.

I happened to have the cover on the rear end off - so I counted the teeth. Pinion Gear = 10, and Ring Gear = 41.
That gives me a 4.1:1 gear ratio - same ratio as when I counted the tire versus input shaft rotations.

VWJake: Thanks for returning me to my original plan of - get it driving, get a feel for it, and then make changes as required. A brake update is a "must do" in my book before I get it rolling down the road. The 8.8 already has discs (need refresh), and I already visited TSM for a front disc brake conversion kit (30 min drive from my house) - so, I'll have discs all the way around. I just need to work out what master to use with the original pedals.

Thanks again for everyone's input - appreciate your help!
Heinz

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:15 am

your 4 speed should be a 1.0 on the fourth gear. here is a rpm calculator http://spicerparts.com/calculators/tran ... calculator input your info to get you close to the rpms you want on the highway. summit racing has numerous ratios for the ford 8.8. I have 3.73 in mine with a turbo'd bd240, t98 and 31" tires and I'm gonna re-gear to 3.08 or 3.25 to drive the freeways here. I'm not gonna be pulling or hauling, so take that into account when figuring what you plan to achieve.
1936 C1 Project
Previous

Return to L, R and S