engines used in other applications

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:01 pm

Re: engines used in other applications

Mike,
I'd sell the entire R pickup, only.
You'd need all the other goodies, anyway. A/T steering column, linkages, driveshaft, mounts and crossmembers.
I'm in Central CA. PM me.
However, adapting a "modern" engine/ automatic trans would be best.
Since any number of "modern" engines come with A/T you'd probably end up with something besides a IHC in your truck. That's easier then adapting a newer auto trans to your old 6 cylinder.
BTW, GM Hydramatic 4 speeds are much heavier than modern automatics. Ebay sells a special Hydramatic lifting hoist used by dealerships back in the day. It's that heavy.
I worked in a auto transmission shop, too.
IHC mated its V-8 to both Borg Warner and Torqueflite auto transmissions in the 1960s and 1970s. You could update to that?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:27 pm

I don't know if these help, but they are flywheels and bellhousings for the 220's, 240's and 264's used as stationary powerplants, and have SAE patterns.

Flywheels.JPG

Bellhousings.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:59 am

MM I have no experience with the early hydromatics, most of the early stuff where I worked stopped at the late 50's as the earliest. We did a cast iron Torqueflight for a DeSoto and the aforementioned B/W unit.
The vast majority were turbo 350's 400's C-4's C-6's with some 904's and 727 and a few 999 plus the newer FWD's

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:23 am

oldihfan wrote:In surfing the net, I've come across two outfits that make adapters for engine-to-trans. They are:

http://transmissionadapters.com ( Bendtsen's Speed Gems, Inc., Ham Lake, Minn. )
and
https://www.novak-adapt.com ( Novak Conversions, Logan, Utah )

I haven't had any personal experience with either, but it might be someplace else to start.........

I used Bendtsen's for adapting a Cat diesel to a 700r4 auto and put it in my S-10, my brother used them to put a Perkins into a Massey 44 tractor. We both had a good experience working with that company. They are not afraid of doing "oddball" adapters. Not cheap but you get a very high quality product. Talk to Bob Bendtsen, he is very sharp and has some great projects to his credit.

Haven't had any dealings with Novak, but I know they've been around a long time.

I think a 700r4 would be a good choice for an old truck being all mechanical, and having an overdrive. Just my 2 cents.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:22 pm

This is all very interesting to me. It's hard to know what parts will fit with what without having them in hand to measure. Will the truck flywheel fit inside the SAE housing? And SAE 3 and 4 sizes were available.
And the OP wants to use an automatic. Would the flexplate for the BW auto fit as a starting point? I've never seen one in person.
Lots of questions and I don't have the answers.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:31 pm

dean466 wrote:This is all very interesting to me. It's hard to know what parts will fit with what without having them in hand to measure. Will the truck flywheel fit inside the SAE housing? And more than one SAE size was available.
And the OP wants to use an automatic. Would the flexplate for the BW auto fit as a starting point? I've never seen one in person.
Lots of questions and I don't have the answers.

Dean

Me too, the engine has an adaptor that bolts to the block, that the bell bolts to. I think, but am not sure, that they are similer in the V-8's so a B/W unit might bolt to a 6.
SAE bells and flywheels are fixed by the SAE spec, so an SAE #3 bell and flywheel are all the same regardless of the engine design they are used on.
Automotive flywheels and clutches are different and can vary a lot. They tend to be bigger around and not as deep as an SAE flywheel. I would tend to doubt an automotive flywheel in a SAE bell.
B/W units aren't common, so rather than looking for obsolete parts that may or may not work, I would save my money and have an adaptor machined for a readly availabe trans.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:58 pm

I get the impression that you could get a Bd/BG with a 727 totqueflite behind it. Not sure how far that gets you, but it could be a start. my impression is the adapter is a portion of the SAE adapter as well. There was one on EBay for a princely sum in my eyes. I would have bought it if there was anything more than lint in my pocket.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:46 pm

This is from IHCpartsamerica forum
It is a 727 made for IHC, looks like it might work with an I-6 engine half of the bell/adaptor
edit: by the time IHC was using the Chry trans, they had stopped producing their own I-6 and were using the AMC 6 in its place.
The thread remarked that many B/W units were retro-fitted with the T/F when they went bad, It seams these were behind the SV engines.
Attachments
IHC727Bell.jpg
Last edited by cornbinder89 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:12 pm

HI thanks for all the input this is how we learn about this stuff. Sorry if i don't reply to all comments but i am reading and doing research at the same time. its snowing like hell here. Monsonmotors you live in the warm CA i live in the cold CA there are 4000 miles between us and that's a problem if you were nearer i would buy your R in a heartbeat but another day. The sae bell housing took me a little bit astray as i thought the gm and ford or BOP would fit on these and my problems would be solved The adapter plate to the 700r4 seems to be front runner but ford was a more compact unit, which might fit the bill as well . I started to research the subject of bell housing blueprints and got a little info on that forum, also read a thread where a guy took the ih bell housing off the engine and fitted another brand and with the transmission to go with it But he used a 1/8 plate to make the exchange. I also considered cutting the end of a Ih bell housing and welding a gm to it but that might be a wild ride trying to get it all in the correct place and surfacing them both square to each other i will keep working away at this and when i get things to start a exchange i will document every step i take mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Mike, you can see why people just take the entire engine/trans combo out of something else and transplant it. The flywheel/flexplate/ bellhousing/starter/ adaptor issues cause headaches.
I'd say "Chevy LS" transplant but the LS is turning out to be a dud. LOTS of valvetrain issues.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S