alternator

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:13 pm

Re: alternator

Cool, good info. These are a great option for so many reasons. I was leaning that way until my 6v battery died. Had I been further along on my “restoration” the 6V alternator would have been ideal. As it is now, a new battery is gonna cost me either way. Six of one, half dozen of another, may as well have the whole 12.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:55 pm

stickman207 wrote:I have a six volt S-120 and finally relented and and switched to a six volt alternator. Very reasonably priced at Brillman and works much better than the generator . Stickman 207

Not all 6 volt alternators are created equal. A while back there were some being sold as 6 volt alternators that were std 12 volt GM 10si with a 6 volt regulator... but with a 12 volt field winding, guess what? they didn't work worth a crap, had high cut in speeds and low output. SO buyer be ware, It sound from you report that the Brillman isn't one of these.
I did some experimenting and found it took a 78 amp 17si to get 30 amps on a 6 volt system with the std 12 volt field winding. Either Brillman is re winding the rotor or useing high amp 12 volt units for their 6 volts. BTW I used the K's orignal generator voltage regulator to control the GM alternator it worked fine, but I found a generator that was cheap an worked better than the 17SI.
BTW "one wire" alterntors are standard issue on semi's They work ok, but need to spin fast enough to turn on. 3 wire will turn on at a lower speed. With a big diesel limited RPM range, it is easy to spin them fast enough at idle to "turn on" consistently, without over speeding at max rpm.
As to CHry or Other make, there are only two circuits to control a field (either generator or altenator) either one side is connected to the "hot output" and the ground is controlled by the voltage regulator or the other way is one side of the field is connected to ground and the voltage reulator controls the "hot" feed. Either system works just as well, with transistors, it is easyer (cheaper) to control the ground side so most electronic regulators do it that way. On Chry corp when they changed from mechanical regs to electronic, they changed which "side" of the field was controlled.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:46 am

Back when I converted my '52 from a generator to an alternator [someone had already done a half-fast 12V conversion] I robbed the alternator and regulator off the '68 1200 parts truck I had at the time.

Not high-tech, but it worked.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:20 am

It's probably been twenty years since I swapped mine over to an alternator, I used a regulator from a later pick-up I found in the junk yard (I forget the year) and an alternator my dad had laying around. It wasn't that hard of a swap if I recall but I was a teen at the time and I could have done a better job of it.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:27 pm

The first time I made an alternator conversion was before the internet offered a solution to everything. I didn't know there was such thing as a wide belt pulley, so I made my own by cutting it in half with a hack saw and shimming it with fender washers. It actually worked pretty good.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:19 pm

Love hearing about the cheap and working fixit solutions. I was raised on a potato farm in Nothern Maine and vice grips, pliers and haywire were essentials. My Uncle Jim could perform mechanical miracles on junk.- Stickman 207

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:30 pm

My relatives were also from Maine, what area are you from, Mine came from So Gardner and Lakeville Plt. (Springfield/Lee area).
Previous

Return to L, R and S