Early 1950's truck body rust?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:25 am

Early 1950's truck body rust?

HI international folks

I have found a 1951 1/2 ton International truck on one of the facebook pages, the fellow has been trying to sell it for over a year, he says it will run..
What I need is where do I ask him to get photos of on the body of this truck??

this is all he has for the listing...price is decent...I am in the Albany NY and he is in the Norwood NC part of the country...this deal if it happens will be a sigh unseen purchase for me...

Where do these old trucks tend to rot most??

MikeC

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Re: Early 1950's truck body rust?

:jester: These trucks rust out everywhere, but the hot spots are where International engineering placed the patented IHC mud/dirt collection systems,

Cab corners, grill by parking lights, front floor area, lower front cab area hidden behind front fenders,

Then there are the patented moisture containment areas, upper windshield valance, bottom corners of windshield dash areas, cowl vent gasket channel, door bottoms,

Other than those areas these trucks are pretty rust free,,,,except for pickup box bed floor, tailgate lower roll, bottoms of the fenders,
Last edited by bedrockjon on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:40 pm

BRJ all I can say is viva old, dry, California trucks!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:51 pm

Yup you are a lucky duck, did you see the D-2 panel in the 1940 & older section?
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:08 pm

bedrockjon wrote::jester: These trucks rust out everywhere, but the hot spots are where International engineering placed the patented IHC mud/dirt collection systems,

Cab corners, grill by parking lights, front floor area, lower front cab area hidden behind front fenders,

Then there are the patented moisture containment areas, upper windshield valance, bottom corners of windshield dash areas, cowl vent gasket channel, door bottoms,

Other than those areas these trucks are pretty rust free,,,,except for pickup box bed floor, tailgate lower roll, bottoms of the fenders,

Wow...thanks for the quick reply...

I will see what he can do for more pictures of all the areas you mentioned above...cab corners I can repair...same with door bottoms....cab floors I have done too..

The stuff that is scaring me is the upper windshield area and windshield dash areas too...that sounds like it could be a bear to fix...

Hmmm...now I wonder why it wont sell...bet it is rot box for sure...

MikeC

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Without knowing how much he wants for the truck, I do know that if the tail gate and if it is an L grill are in good shape, That is almost worth it. People are always looking for both of those items. I will agree with the assessment of rust areas, most of which can be overcome, especially if you have either the skills and money for supplies, or just the money to pay for it to be done. I did not see your pictures, that you posted, either they did not post or I have an issue on my end.
Ultimately it is your choice to buy or not.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:27 pm

I was given an "R" pickup. It came from an "it is either me or the truck" situations. I did slip the hen-picked significant other a hundred when his persecutor was looking away.
The floor rust was bad enough to cause the cab to separate from the front cab cross member on the driver's floor area. The grill, box and tailgate were really good on this "R". I also saved the new windshield, cowl, doors and cab back section.
I have never experienced any vehicle that rusts a badly as these OLD IHC. I/we always take the cabs apart by unbolting the three sections. After metal cleaning and a etching primer from PPG the cabs are assembled, usually with parts from different cabs. I was scraping about 1/2 of all the OLD IHC parts that passed this way.
I agree with BRJ.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:00 am

lbesq wrote:Without knowing how much he wants for the truck, I do know that if the tail gate and if it is an L grill are in good shape, That is almost worth it. People are always looking for both of those items. I will agree with the assessment of rust areas, most of which can be overcome, especially if you have either the skills and money for supplies, or just the money to pay for it to be done. I did not see your pictures, that you posted, either they did not post or I have an issue on my end.
Ultimately it is your choice to buy or not.

He is looking for $2200.00 for it...I think the area where he is from is the Charlotte NC area and it is more of a Chevy Ford hot bed rather than a Internationals...or maybe it is just really rough...wish the pics were clearer tho...

Does this show up any better???

MikeC

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:31 am

Mike, if you can email me the pictures, I can post them, they are not showing up. lbesq@cableone.net

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:45 pm

The last one was showing earlier, but isn't now.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.
Next

Return to L, R and S