Low tox antifreeze

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:06 pm

Low tox antifreeze

I park my truck on a concrete slab in my backyard. I'm about to change the coolant and I have two dogs so I am looking at getting the Sierra or Low Tox antifreeze that is Propylene glycol antifreeze. Has anyone used this or would this be okay to use in our old trucks? I have used the long life universal antifreeze in the past. What is the recommended interval for changing the low tox antifreeze out?

Thx

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: Low tox antifreeze

I have been doing some research on antifreeze for my own truck (1939 D-2) and these links will help. Many of the newer antifreeze mixtures contain Organic Acid Technology (OAT), which is to be avoided as it will eat away older gaskets (most "Long-Life" antifreeze is OAT). For our older vehicles, we should use only IAT (inorganic Additive Technology) inhibited antifreeze .

Tips for finding IAT coolant are as follows:

1. Prestone says that all of their current antifreezes are OAT formulas.

2. Peak says that their Peak Antifreeze and Coolant is an IAT formula. The container is blue (and has a green cap). It is important that it DOES NOT say “long life”. Peak Sierra brand is propylene glycol for those who prefer that. It too uses an IAT formula.

3. Zerex says that Zerex Original Green is an IAT formula. It comes in a white container. Do not use their G-05 formula in the gold jug.
(This was first published in Jim Crame’s W. Michigan Buick Chapter News Letter.)

For further information:

https://www.rosecitythunderbirds.org/an ... ation.html

http://www.no-rosion.com/tech_coolant.htm

John

"Cornelius" - The "Rolling Restoration" of a 1939 IHC D-2 Pickup - 113" WB
New Website - "Restoring Cornelius"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:14 am

Good information to know John, thanks for sharing.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:20 pm

Thx for the info. I found the Preston Low Tox but I have not bought it yet. I'll see if I can find someone that carries the Peak Sierra coolant.

Return to L, R and S