Parts compatibility Question L-110

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:43 am

Parts compatibility Question L-110

I already searched the site, but could not find answers to my questions.

I recently picked up a '52 L-110 with a BG241 engine and what appears to be a T9 transmission.
I do not plan to restore the truck - so originality is not of primary importance.
I plan to make it a reliable daily driver - first step being to get it driving with the existing engine/tranny.

Having said that - the truck is currently missing:

1) The brake, clutch and throttle controls.
Is it worth the effort to find original replacement parts, or is there a better, perhaps more modern, alternative?

If original parts are still a viable/working option, I found brake and clutch controls for a '53-'55 R-150. I have the picture of the controls for the L-110 from the online Illustrated Parts Breakdown in the Library - the drawings are similar, but not exactly the same as the actual controls for the R-150. Are these brake and clutch controls interchangeable?

2) It is also missing the steering wheel, column, and steering box. Are these interchangeable between a '52 L-110 and other models? If not, are there recommended alternatives?

Lastly, is there some cross-reference sheet/chart that might list what mechanical parts are interchangeable between models and years?

Thank you VERY much for your help!
H.Huester

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:45 pm

Re: Parts compatibility Question L-110

Hi H.Huester,

your truck would've originally come with a SD-220 motor, a BG-241 is a later motor, basically same block so a direct bolt in, better than the original so good,

you can verify transmission by where reverse is: over and toward dash T-98, over and toward seat, T-9, the BG motor would not of had a T-9 behind it as it was pretty much phased out by the time BG were made, however your truck would've originally had a T-9, so, motor was swapped, but trans kept?

anyway any L-110, 112, 120, 122, 130, or R-110, 112, 120, 122, 130,, or S-110, 112, 120, 122, 130, brake/clutch stuff should work, there were some modification upgrades by IHC due to problems but for the most part they will work, you may have issues with BG bellhousing clutch shaft support bushing,

any steering column from L-110, 112, 120, 122, 130, 4 speed truck will work, or early R-110, 112, 120, 122, 130, later R, and S, steering columns will work, but have a internal turn signal assembly, so not factory correct, but will work, 3 speed columns will work too, but will have the linkage for transmission,

when you get up to L-150 R-150 S-150 and bigger everything changes, so big truck stuff that you need aren't an option, there are other parts that swap but not column and clutch linkage, probably could be used with modification,

my advice is find a guy who is hotrodding his truck and get all these parts he's gonna toss anyway, or do a frame swap to modern running gear if stock is not a priority,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:29 pm

Jon, I would have to disagree, Both the L112 I had and the L150, both 1950 had the same steering and the same engine transmissions in them. Maybe some differences when the later years came? Just my experience with those two trucks That I owned.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:36 pm

I have to look it up in the library, the 150 I believe is not the same. Firewall I think is different too.
Need to look at the part number for sure.

After looking in the manuals, I agree with jon as far as parts numbers,
3 columns and steering wheels etc.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:38 pm

I have an L150 cab, The firewall is different in that it is longer and too close to the transmission if transferred to a pickup truck. The floor mounts to the frame with two mounts but not like the pickups. The mounts are close to centre of the cab and maybe 12 inches apart. The cab back section is the same. The doors for the 150 are probably the same. My old age may be telling me I should not be lifting what I used to lift, easily.
The front cab floor mounting points are the same on the cabs, although the mounts that connect the cab to the frame are different.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:08 pm

My L150 firewall can be trimmed to fit a pickup, but I will only do that as the last option. I hope to use the L150 firewall on my crewcab. I will fit it to the Cummins ISB 24 valve and an MVG 4500 transmission. I may want more cab to frame clearance and this will change other mounting points. Raising the cab with conservative spacers is easily doable. I think a minimum lift to clear rather than cutting the cab may be a better idea, for me.
I like the look because the inch of extra height took some of what I call, "that Claymation look" out of the truck by making it an inch taller.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:59 pm

my brother's L-160 bus had different brake/clutch linkage set up than my L-110, at the time we compared them,

I didn't say a L-150 had different motor, (well a 240 instead of a 220)

steering column was bigger too than a pickup, which is what he was asking about, And I said you can probably make it work,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:40 am

Thank you VERY much everyone.
I REALLY appreciate you sharing your knowledge with this noob.

Sincerely,
Heinz

Return to L, R and S