Rebuild tips for a daily driver SD

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:09 pm

Re: Rebuild tips for a daily driver SD

I know the crank sits different on some of the ag configuration, of that block, the 282 ag and the 301 ag need more room for the longer stroke, I am not sure the smaller ag engines use the lower crank, however. Does anyone know for sure?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:27 pm

I know the crank sits different on some of the ag configuration, of that block, the 282 ag and the 301 ag need more room for the longer stroke, I am not sure the smaller ag engines use the lower crank, however. Does anyone know for sure?

http://murphysmotorservice.com/

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:34 pm

couldn't find the answer in your link, can you link to it directly?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:45 pm

CB, the phone is on the web page, talk to Jeff. Thats who told me. I got some parts from him and priced pistons and rods,to many bucks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Ahh, I was looking for the info on the site. I have seen a chart somewhere of the different small six blocks as this has come up before.
The smaller one I believe are the same where as the 282 and 301 have the crank lower down. I know this came up when discussing the 301 diesel that made its way into a very few trucks.
I'm fairly sure that some are the same as truck blocks but was hoping to find the chart that proved it.
265 is as big as it can go stroke wise and still have the rod clear the cam with crank in the truck configuration, However in Australia they used the 282 version in trucks, which is totally different than the 282 used in North American trucks.
Ok found the chart curtesy of Dean 466
download/file.php?id=5103&mode=view

Note the Ag C263 uses the long stroke of the 301.
here is the whole thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4646&hilit=282+engine

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:58 pm

All the 4 25/64" stroke engines use the lower crank position. The block height from pan rail to deck is the same for long and short stroke engines. Setting the crank lower in the block has the same effect as raising deck height.

With a little digging in the CaseIH online parts catalog, https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... model_find

the 460 rear engine support is part no. 367223R1 for both gas and diesel engines.

The 560 rear engine support is part no. 367224R2 for both gas and diesel engines.

I know of no other reason, other than crank centerline position, that these would not be the same part number.

So the C221 and D236 ag engines should have the same rear block face configuration and crank centerline as the 220/240/264 truck engines. The flywheel housing is different.

And yes, Murphy's has a lot more experience with this than I do.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:17 pm

One other factor worth thinking about, is that the ag engines aren't machined for a fuel pump. I guess not an issue if an electric fuel pump is used.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 am

I would love to have some disposable income to acquire a selection of used engines to document. I can't help but think there are replacement parts that we in the truck world aren't finding because they're packaged for ag use and vise versa.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:29 pm

I realize this is straying from the original direction of this thread, but IH offered these truck engines in U series (stationary engine) trim-

[img]
U-series.jpg
[/img]

What does this mean? U series engines had SAE clutch housings. So, those parts would bolt to a SD/BD/BG truck engine and convert it an SAE pattern. This would give more transmission options. Of course, few light duty truck transmissions, past or current, use an SAE pattern.

Dean
Attachments
U-series.jpg
U-series.jpg (7.5 KiB) Viewed 4324 times
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:54 am

SAE pattern

dean466 wrote:I realize this is straying from the original direction of this thread, but IH offered these truck engines in U series (stationary engine) trim-

[img]
U-series.jpg
[/img]

What does this mean? U series engines had SAE clutch housings. So, those parts would bolt to a SD/BD/BG truck engine and convert it an SAE pattern. This would give more transmission options. Of course, few light duty truck transmissions, past or current, use an SAE pattern.

Dean

Yes! I was keeping this under my hat for the moment ‘cause I hadn’t pieced it all together yet but you’re right. I stumbled onto this just the other day while looking for piston options for my new-to-me BG241. There is a set of bellhousing/flywheel Parts that will get you from an IH straight 6 220-264 to an sae4 bell pattern (sae3 is another option but the 4 seemed more viable to me). From there Phoenix adapters can get you to a GM pattern or other. Non T-34 overdrive 5th gear anyone? It would seem that the IH pieces are available from online tractor parts sources. I’m affraid of what the cost might be though. You’ll also likely have to run a hydraulic TO bearing ( not the end of the world) and it would appear that you will have 2 flywheels bolted together (Phoenix website info). Might be a slow revving son of a gun.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S