Rubber parts

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:50 am

Re: Rubber parts

Best to use rubber lube as it doesn't dry the rubber, next would be Murphy's soap as it is a vegetable based soap.
You could ask for a little rubber lube from a tire shop, I buy it in pails of about 5lbs as I do semi tire work.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:07 pm

My wife saw me Google searching "rubber lube" I thank you for that
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Always here to help!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:17 pm

That's a good one right there.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:53 pm

I have one more question. I received my catalog today from Restoration Specialties. Before I order anything, I want to make sure I get the right stuff. The stuff in my pictures--is that what's referred to as Cab Windlace?
They also list door weatherstrip. I'm assuming that is the stuff on the actual door itself, is that correct?
Just want to make sure I order the correct pieces.
Thanks again for the help!
Rich

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:56 pm

^yes^ cab windlace is on the cab, door rubber is on door edge, call them if you want to make double dog sure
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:05 am

Thanks! That's what I thought. But as you suggested, I may either call them or email those pics to them and ask, just to be sure.
Rich

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:03 pm

56-S-Fan wrote:Rich,

I had similar looking door seals on my S132. I bought the replacements (don't recall who from). They are a pain in the arse to replace. If I recall correctly I started by removing the old ones, I cut pieces out with a razor blade. I am not sure there is a best way to remove it. Then I used a small stiff nylon parts brush to clean the groove.
There are 2 open spots in the channel. I want to say I used this and slid the gasket in the back part of the door, and probably the front as well. Let me tell you this is not as easy as it sounds. I think the last part I was able to put one side in the grove and use a medium flat screwdriver to ease the rest of it in.
It took me several hours to do one door. I did try some talcum powder on the parts that I was sliding in, I don't recall if that helped or not. I thought about using some WD-40 or something but did not because I thought it would make everything too slippery.
So, it can be done, it takes some time and patience, and my fingers were sore after. In my case I did one door several years ago and then I finally did the 2nd door some months ago. I do know that you want to do this when the rubber is somewhat soft and pliable (warm weather or a heated garage possibly) I set my seal out in the sun for a few hours before the last one, not sure if it really helps, but seems like it should.
But, it does make it look a whole lot better and did help with the noise/wind some.

Did you put yours in all in one piece or in sections? Mine also has the 2 open spots in the channel. I was debating whether or not to try putting it in in two pieces, but I didn't know if that would be proper to have a splice in it.
I ordered mine from Restoration Specialties and it arrived today. Looks like that will be my project for next week.
Rich

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:39 pm

One Piece. Its hard and takes determination, but can be done.
I want to say I did the back first, its the longest part then maybe the top and last the front.
You will find the seal is longer than you need, and I cut some off mine just to get it closer, then made the final cut after installation. I think I installed the back, and top and then let it drop to the floor in the front and cut some off.

What I remember is that you have to pull on one end and push on the other (at the cutout) and you can move like 1" at a time.
I also remember that I got tired at some point and pushed the seal into the channel (one side) and used a large screwdriver (large tip) and just pushed the other side in a little bit at a time trying not to nick the rubber seal. I think this was when I was doing the front and some of the top. I am sure I put a few nicks in it, but not enough to matter and I did not make any holes in it. So I was happy.
56 S-120 4x4 started the whole mess.
S-132 dually longbed,
S-120 4x4 Travelall,
S144 Forestry truck,
S160 Holmes tow

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:36 pm

I was able to get one door opening done today. I utilized the two openings in the channel. Both were in the top of the door-one to the front and the other toward the rear. This allowed me to slide both the front and the rear portions into place, and the only part I had to pry into place was the short part on top between the two openings. I used plenty of Dawn dish soap for lubricant which helped a lot. I used a small paint brush to put it in the channel itself and also to paint it on the molding where it fit into the channel. It still took a couple hours, maybe a little more, but I thought it actually went quite well.
Another thing I discovered was that the edge of the channel was crimped in several spots. Not sure if this was from 60 years of abuse or if it was done by the factory to "stake" the molding into place. I made sure to get all the crimps out before trying to slide the new molding into place.
I'll probably attempt the second door sometime next week.
Thanks again for your insights!
Rich
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S