Rubber parts

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Rubber parts

I'm trying to get a little done on my '56 S-150 over the winter. Most all the rubber seals around the door (both inside and outside) are pretty well shot, and the rubber boots around the shifter and hand brake lever are gone entirely. Just wondering if anyone is reproducing these parts. Also the floor mat is missing entirely.
Just looking for something that will work reasonably well. It doesn't have to be 100% "correct"!
Thanks!
Rich

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Rubber parts

https://oldinternationaltrucks.com/parts-store/

These guys usually have what you need or they know where to get it. George Kirkham, the owner is a big supporter of Old IHC events in Western Canada.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:23 pm

Try this website:
http://www.soffseal.com

Left side of page lists various makes you can select from---Ford, Chevy, etc. At bottom of that list, click on "Universal Parts", then slide to the right and click on "Extrusion". You can find rubber seals with just about every cross-section imaginable there.
There are well over 20 pages of them ( when page indicator reaches 21, just keep clicking on "next" and it will keep bringing up additional pages. They have an 800 number for help with details on sizes, specs., etc.
For a sort of "universal" mat'l. for floor mat, you might look at what
McMaster.com
has available. It's not form-fitted, but it'll at least give you a "water-and-dirt repelling" surface for your steel floor.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:32 pm

Restoration Specialties has just about everything you'd want- http://www.restorationspecialties.com/Products.html

The only exception I've heard of is vent wing seals.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:42 pm

ePay has some sellers too, I'd check them against others, they all are getting it from same maker
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:56 pm

Thanks for the great links! Looks like I can go shopping for a long time! :D
Rich

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:14 pm

As an update, these are the main pieces I am looking to replace. As you can see, they are baked hard from many years in the sun. Just wondering what the correct name is for these when I go to order them.
Also, I have never done these before. How exactly do they attach, and how hard of a job is it to replace them?
Thanks!
Attachments
DSCN0929 a.jpg
DSCN0928 a.jpg
Rich

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:51 pm

Rich, I'd guess a couple bucks a foot. If it's the same as what's in my truck, the inside part of the seal fits in a track that run's around the door opening. I don't know how hard it is to replace the seal since I've never replaced any.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:32 am

Rich,

I had similar looking door seals on my S132. I bought the replacements (don't recall who from). They are a pain in the arse to replace. If I recall correctly I started by removing the old ones, I cut pieces out with a razor blade. I am not sure there is a best way to remove it. Then I used a small stiff nylon parts brush to clean the groove.
There are 2 open spots in the channel. I want to say I used this and slid the gasket in the back part of the door, and probably the front as well. Let me tell you this is not as easy as it sounds. I think the last part I was able to put one side in the grove and use a medium flat screwdriver to ease the rest of it in.
It took me several hours to do one door. I did try some talcum powder on the parts that I was sliding in, I don't recall if that helped or not. I thought about using some WD-40 or something but did not because I thought it would make everything too slippery.
So, it can be done, it takes some time and patience, and my fingers were sore after. In my case I did one door several years ago and then I finally did the 2nd door some months ago. I do know that you want to do this when the rubber is somewhat soft and pliable (warm weather or a heated garage possibly) I set my seal out in the sun for a few hours before the last one, not sure if it really helps, but seems like it should.
But, it does make it look a whole lot better and did help with the noise/wind some.
56 S-120 4x4 started the whole mess.
S-132 dually longbed,
S-120 4x4 Travelall,
S144 Forestry truck,
S160 Holmes tow

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:06 pm

A little dish soap in warm water makes those seals slide in easier. Still a time-consuming pain to do. Another place that carries IH seals is Clester's Auto Rubber Seals.
Next

Return to L, R and S