Motors

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:59 am

Motors

I've been reading the posts on this site for all the good info while I'm hunting for a truck. Tons of good info offered or gleaned from all the posts. It seems a 6 cyl or any of the 8s could be had in 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks. It also looks like the customer could spec what they wanted in just about any combo for the entire driveline. My take away is that almost all the trucks out there are not exactly apples to apples.

Most of my usage would be general running around, with an occasional trailer/race car tow of 300 to 800 mile round trip. Yep, I understand a 6 will be working harder and the typical approach is bigger is better. Sure, dif ratio and tire size makes a difference. So, for a 3/4 ton truck hauling about 3500 of trailer/load, is the 6 better on gas mileage than a 304, 345 or 392 for towing?

In re-reading this, I guess what I'm asking is the collective experience on gas mileage. Thanks for the help.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:08 am

Re: Motors

None will give "good" gas mileage, that was not in the cards back then. My K-7 will give 10 MPG moving 10,500 lbs. I am biased toward inlines so that would be my choice. If you want good power and mileage than a modern Direct injected gasoline is what you need.
BTW wind resistance is a MUCH bigger factor in fuel mileage than weight. Low and heavy is much better than tall and light.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:11 pm

22 plus MPG is possible with a Japanese donor frame swap. You asked. :)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:48 am

Actually, the V8 wasn't available in the Light Line until the B series, approximately 1958-9. The behemoth V8s used in 56-on were huge, required different frame rail spacing and hood/grille sheet metal, weighed 1100-1200 pounds, and were only available in 185 and larger series trucks.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:51 pm

I have installed an IHC 304 V8 in an R120 pickup. This is a simple bolt in and the fan matches the radiator shroud. THE PROBLEM IS, the steering column will hit the left side of the engine. I did install a 1997 Chevy van tilt and a Saginaw power steering box. Details on request.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:06 am

I like pretty much all the overhead valve IH engines. Any IH will get the job done mostly through gearing, my 52 (220SD) and my 61 (266V8) will both pull like no ones business the V8 will pull a heavier load, but neither will pull a heavy load at modern highway speeds. Gas mileage will never be great under a load and you'll never be pulling a heavy load at 70+mph, if either of those are a deciding factor then maybe you should look at putting a more modern drive train in it.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Return to L, R and S