carburetor help

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:09 pm

Re: carburetor help

bedrockjon wrote:Carb on the left would be for your truck and air cleaner, the L, R, & S trucks used this V clamp style (mostly, Nothing absolute with IHC)

the straight smooth top one on the right is common in the K, KB trucks, the air cleaner on them has smooth wall connection,

so if you decide to rebuild/use the carb on the right, just search air cleaner for K, KB trucks, they look very similar to each other,

only your hair dresser would know it's not 100% correct.

It would have to be a small K with a GRD, the bigger ones use a V neck also

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:53 pm

yes, meant GRD motors, small trucks
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks for the help. I've sent off the carb that will work with my air cleaner and should have it back next week. A simple job I know, but time is not endless right now. Now what do I do with the other two carbs? Is anyone interested in them? PM if you are.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:45 am

I see mr. munson continues to take shots at me.

To answer the question, the 964s was an aftermarket replacement carburetor for a Chevrolet 216, and had one of the smallest venturi that Carter used on the YF design.

Yes, carburetors CAN be adjusted to different engines (within CID limitations) if the tuner understands the requirements of the engine (or understands the use of a wide-band).

And the often repeated story of the large carb to a small engine is at least partially true. I personally know an engineer who worked for Carter who put an 800 CFM 4-barrel thermoquad on a Pontiac 400, and then reinstalled the carb on a Ford 2.3 in a Mustang. The purpose of the test was to prove the adaptability of the spread-bore design and the "on-demand" secondary. The 800 CFM TQ is rated at 200 CFM on the primary side, and 600 CFM on the secondary side. Even if the throttle is wide-open, the auxiliary air valve prevents the variable 600 CFM from engaging unless there is sufficient demand by the engine. The secondary side NEVER opened on the 2.3.

If you look at the original carburetor used on the Ford 2.3, it is just about the same size as the primary side of the 800 CFM TQ.

And yes, a carburetor at least SHOULD respond to a vacuum signal. But engine design will dictate how that vacuum signal may vary at different RPM from engine to engine. But you guys keep believing that one-size fits all and the only reason the carburetor companies produced so many models was to maintain job security. And continue to pay at the pump because the carburetor is just plain wrong for the application.

Jon.
Good carburetion is fuelish hot air!

If you truly believe one size fits all, try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner, The Carburetor Shop in Missouri

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:26 am

Carb king, I think you mis-understood me. With proper tuning any carb will make an engine run, that doesn't make it ideally suited for that engine. A carb just responds to vacuum signals of the air passing thru it, it doesn't know or care what is generating that signal. Too large or too small or one that is subject to pulsation (a carb connected to feed a single cyl,, for example) can cause problems not seen on the "correct" application for that carb.
BTW the account I read was with a Motocraft two BBL and Ford 400M and 2.3 and not a vacuum secondary 4 bbl.
If you are able and willing to spend the time to match a carb to the engine requirements, there is no reason it has to be the original application. The OEM application carb will have that work already done for you, but is not the only one that will work.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:14 am

CB - I totally agree that carbs CAN be modified. The problem being that many disregard the basic idea that an engine is an air pump. At a given RPM, a given engine will require a certain amount of air. Internal combustion engines are VERY forgiving in regards to at least running. But some homework when replacing an original carb with a different carb will certainly make the engine run more efficiently.

And it isn't just CFM. For many years, I have been a tech advisor for a number of Pontiac organizations. Take an original carb from a 400 Chevrolet and place it on a 400 Pontiac, and the engine will perform very poorly. Same is true if one reverses the procedure. The camshaft profile, and the head designs are totally different, thus causing a totally different vacuum profile. The Pontiac engine wants more air at lower RPM, but the Chevrolet wants more air quicker as the RPM climbs. But yes, either setup will run; just not well.

We sell LOTS of aftermarket carbs; but we do try to help the customer pick one (even if we don't have it) that will best match his/her vehicle.

Lots of folks enjoy making their vehicles run using original technology. Many others prefer to upgrade (although disregarding engineering principals often results in a change that is NOT an improvement). There is room for both groups.

Jon.
Good carburetion is fuelish hot air!

If you truly believe one size fits all, try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner, The Carburetor Shop in Missouri
Previous

Return to L, R and S