S100 rear bumper

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:50 pm

S100 rear bumper

Hey all, I'm looking for a stock rear bumper for my 56 S100. straighter the better. I know others will fit easily. I'm trying to keep as much IH on the truck as possible.
I need it to pass inspection. Let me know what you have.
rear S100.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:32 pm

Re: S100 rear bumper

Are you sure? Most states did not require a rear bumper on trucks, and most did not have them, they were either fitted with something after the sale to tow stuff in the field or left without. I know in 1973 in Mass, they were still optional. Check with someone in you state, if not on it from the factory it shouldn't be required.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:30 pm

IHC rear bumpers in Central CA tend to be aftermarket and TOUGH. Diamond plate or alternatives abound.
NOT pretty in a girly way but surely are useful and well attatched to the truck.
I've never seen an unrestored antique pickup "in the field" without a rear bumper. 95% are aftermarket.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:39 pm

good news is IHC used same stock rear bumper from 1950 L series thru R series thru S series ending early 1957,

bad news is they are very hard to find, I sold my last rear bumper to a member who used to post on here, that was 7-8 years ago, haven't ran across another one since,

most people either didn't want to pay the extra $11 for a bumper or went with a aftermarket heavy duty one,

Oh, and once you find one (if you do), then you need the spring brackets, and the drop pieces that attach spring bracket to frame and lowers it enough to clear the bottom of the box,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:53 pm

Here is the good news. Bob Drake Reproductions in Oregon and Denis Carpenter Ford Reproduction among others off Ford rear bumpers that look so much better on these old Binders than the IHC offering.
I have a few OEM IHC (3) rear bumpers, sadly, nothing is for sale, yet. We have two IHC projects ahead. The IHC bumpers look better if they get shortened a little then they look like the Ford bumper.
Check with these two Ford Reproduction guys for Black Friday sales and free shipping.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks for all the great info everyone. sadly, its a stupid provincial law that I have to adhere to for it to pass a safety, since the truck came out of Alberta. I'll most likely just weld something up...I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Cheers

Return to L, R and S