1953 R-130 spring related parts

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:48 pm

1953 R-130 spring related parts

My very fine 1953 R-130 and I were hauling 4 tons or so of logs, mostly on a trailer, to the sawmill yesterday. A complete moron mail-carrier in a Chevy blazer was zooming backwards in my lane.....I got my right-hand side clear across the ditch, but got sideswiped hard anyway.

Thank God, nobody hurt. Kinda glad he hit me instead of a mom with kids in car.

Cop agreed, 100% his fault.

Broke front eye out of left rear main leaf...IH's old # is 73 383 R91 for HD or 82 698 R91 for the regular. I THINK I had the regular springs, since originally there were only 8 leaves. I don't know what the diff would be for the main leaf. 3/8 thick, 2 1/4 wide, about 52 1/4" eye-to-eye

Bent front rear spring bracket, IH 73 185 R11

Bent wheel rim flange..I can probably pound it out.

(Ripped back end halfway out of my ball-platform and broke ball shank, but the hitch I welded to the truck looks undamaged. Similar damage to trailer, spring broke and one axle bent 45 deg, but trailer parts are easy to find.

Anyone have a lead on these chassis parts? I need my truck!

HUGE thanks to John and Susan Hanson for posting the MT 97 parts book here http://restoringcornelius.com/files/IHC ... _MT-97.pdf

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:59 am

Re: 1953 R-130 spring related parts

Glad to hear you are OK, sad to hear about the truck.

I looked at the parts manual (3-21) for the parts you called out.
Its unclear to me what you are really after. I might have a spring in Texas. I doubt I will have the support as these parts are usually left on the truck. The springs are easy to take off. Shipping might be a bit spendy.

What parts do you need. A spring assembly and a front mount. Both for a rear spring?

Just out of curiosity, does you truck have the helper springs as well as the regular stack? My 132 does.
56 S-120 4x4 started the whole mess.
S-132 dually longbed,
S-120 4x4 Travelall,
S144 Forestry truck,
S160 Holmes tow

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:37 pm

Re: 1953 R-130 spring related parts

Thanks for your concern.

The only part I really still need is the spring bracket, basically a stud or trunnion that bolts or rivets to the frame, that the spring-eye or shackle bushing rides on. The front and rear for the rear spring are the same P/N, one is installed the other-way-up. I have ordered a new main leaf ($100) from a spring shop that actually had the specs on file, and U-bolts. My bracket is bent a little more than I feel comfortable straightening, although I may have to risk it.

My truck originally had eight leaves, although I added two some time ago. It also has the odd camel-back inboard helpers. The originals of these were fatally rusted when i got the truck, but I bought a NOS set through the local IH dealer. Unfortunately the parts guy who sourced them has retired.

Return to L, R and S