Will this axle wrok?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:17 pm

Will this axle wrok?

I found a dana 44 from a 70's f150 or bronco that is the correct width that im searching for, but, and there is always a but. Its a high pinion. So I'm wondering if i can fit it in here. I do have the motor offset in the frame 2 inches toward the passenger and back into the firewall 4 to 5 inches to clear the original axle tie rod. Now for this axle swap i want to lift the truck up to the height of a 4x4 R-120 and right now as you can see my springs are not liking the weight of the 4bt as they are flat. But if i lift it 3 to 4 inches it will move the axle farther away from the oil pan. I'm to use the ford coil springs and radius arms for ease of installation. But i kind of have to get the axle now because my steering box and original axle are cooked. I just want to check and see if you guys think it will work.
55' R-110 w/Intercooled Cummins 4bt, Hoset HX30W, Ford ZF5, Borg Warner 1356 T-Case, Ford 8.8 w/3.73/9800 miles and counting/4x4 swap 50% done

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:26 pm

Re: Will this axle wrok?

Heres the pictures.
Attachments
DSCN0169.JPG
DSCN0171.JPG
DSCN0167.JPG
55' R-110 w/Intercooled Cummins 4bt, Hoset HX30W, Ford ZF5, Borg Warner 1356 T-Case, Ford 8.8 w/3.73/9800 miles and counting/4x4 swap 50% done

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:17 pm

If the springs are flat with the Cummins 4bta in the truck, I would say the springs were NFG when the original engine was in the truck.. A 4bta is less than 100 pounds different that the original lackluster lump.
I do not know why you would have to off-set the engine to the right. My son and I have mocked up a Cummins 4bta inside the stock L110 frame and ahead of the uncut cab firewall. There is enough room. The stock 4bta fan matches the OEM radiator shroud.
My friend has a Cummins 24 valve 5.9 RAM engine in his" L". He found room under the hood to put two compounding turbochargers and an intercooler behind the grill. He did not have to cut his cab, but the "L" has a custom frame to take the torque.
Same under-hood space. We are installing a Cummins B series 24 valve, with an intercooler, in our 1953 R crewcab. We have room for an NVG 4500 transmission and NVG 241dld transfer-case. The axles for this build are DANA 60s with disc brakes.
The crewcab adds about 32 inches to the length of the cab. Yes, I have a different frame but, it is an IHC R150 224"
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:37 pm

We are using OEM modified springs with reduced number of spring leaves. The springs only duty is to track the axles. We are using 4 air springs (aka air bags) and HOLLAND NEWAY leveling valves to support the load and ride height. One valve for the front axle and one on each side for the rear axle.
https://www.truckpartshunter.com/OrderP ... 4007&alt=1

BTW The DANA 60 front axle for our crewcab is a high pinion. I like 3:73 gearing with 265/R-70-17 BFG All Terrain
The L110 will get RAM 1500 20 inch wheels and BFG 275-60-20 tires
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Well I cut the firewall because I needed the gear shifter in the cab but when I put it back farther the timing cover was in the way of the steering column that's why its offset. Which I was thinking long term because I know I wanted to go 4x4, I wanted to make sure I had room for the pinion. I would like to stay away from let spring and air bags, I like coils with a soild axle for a nice ride on the highway and flexible in the field. Also it has the ford radius arm wedges on the axle so there is know way to do leafs. For me it would it may be a little easy to just bolt the full bucket to the frame and be done. I will be doing power steering along with this swap. I'm also going to stick with steel rims that look like the international rims. My goal is having about the same height as this r120 and same look too.As of right now I can barley see the tops of the tires because the front springs are so bad. I was studying your pictures of shorty and looking at mine and think I'm going to have enough room. Because if I raise the front up to the height of that r120 I should have 4-5 inches from the pinion to oil pan.

Return to L, R and S