Hidden or exposed hinges

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Hidden or exposed hinges

i have run into simular issuse on my kb1.
yet the deal with my truck is not a title issuse but what is the acutal orgional year it was titled as.

reason being is my kb1 is titled legaly and 100% correctly of the motor number and not the frame/chassis number.

as well as all the numbers on the data tag match those on the title.

meaning the number on the data tag is the same as the number on the frame as is the motor number the same as the one on the title and the data tag.

how ever this still does not mean my truck started out as a 1948 as data tags are replaceable and i am sure ihc offered them as a replacement item for those that wanted to due things correctly when they lost a motor and replaced it with a differant motor.

reason being is because the motor number and frame number do not match nor did they from the factory orgionaly.

so again if you blew up your motor and replaced it with a differant motor the data tag as well as title would need changed so they would match.

with this said and the fact that some people here on the sight in the past have said my truck more than likely started life as a 1949 and the fact my truck is titled off the motor and not the frame i looked into having the trucks id / title number changed from the motor number to the frame number.

so i contacted my local wsp to find out how to go about getting it changed.

first thing they asked is what make and year of vechicle i had and weather it was titled and in my name and what state.

i told him a 1948 international pickup and that it was titled in wa state in my name and what i wanted to do which is change the trucks id/title number from the motor number to the frame number as the trucks id/title number was the motor number and that i wanted to have it changed over to the frame number since i had replaced the orgional motor with a newer modern v8 motor.

the officer i spoke to in turn than told me all vechicles sold/titled in wa state 1956 and older were all orgionaly titled off the motor number and not the frame number.

he contuined to tell me since it was titled in wa state and in my name there was no need to do anything as they understand and know relize that allot of older vechicle have had the motors updated and there for the motor number would not match title/id number.

yet i could bring it in if i wanted.

how ever i would be wasting my time and money because they would not only not change the trucks id/title number to the frame number but they would not even reconize are use the motor number frame number are any numbers on the data tags.
they also said there was no reason to put any of the data tags on because they do not reconize them nor do they are will they use them in any way shape are forum to prove year when there inspecting it.

NOTE I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THERE ARE SOME STATES THAT REQUIRE THAT THE DATA TAGS BE IN PLACE AND IF THERE EVEN REMOVED TO BE PAINTED UNDER THAT THEY WILL NEVER I REPEAT NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CISCUMSANTES TITLE THE VECHICLE WHATS SO EVER.
so please check with you locol state dmv and are state patrol before you remove any tag are any identifing number of any tpye.

contuining on
reason he said they would not is because wa like all states went to a 17 didget vin system and any vechicle that they inspect weather it is already titled in wa state are not will be required to have a 17 didget vin.

so i opopted out of having my truck inspected and reasigned a 17 didget vin as there was no need to.
but mostly because of the way they attach the new 17 didget vin to vechcilce trailer are anything that requires a vin number.

as the new way of attaching the new vin tag is a metal peel and stick sticker unlike it use to be were they would at the wsp office use metal stamps and stamp the number permently into the frame.

so with the new sticker way if the sticker falls off are some one removes it your screwed as in state patrols eyes you no longer have any vailed vin are way to prove ownership unlike if you just leave it alone and all orgional as i opoted to do.

i know i posted allot of info but i hope some of it will help you understand the way these older trucks were title as well as i hope some of my info will help you get the truck you have titled legaly and correctly.

are you could do nothing and play dumb and do nothing and leave it as is and roll the die and take your chances.

but i myself would rather do it correctly so i do not run into any issuses latter down the road.

with this said i know doing it the right and legal way can take time and some times cost more.

yet in the long run i have personaly found doing it correctly and the right way is the only way to go and is acutally a whole lot cheaper than doing it emorely and the wrong way which i can honestly say i have never ever even tired to do it anything buy the correct and legal way when it comes to obtaining a title for a vechicle that does not have a title.

so in my times of going through the process of obtaining title more than once and like about 8 times know that the dmv and wsp are more than willing to help you as long as your willing to listen and do as they say and it has come out cheaper than trying to go around dmv and wsp and instead go through one of the compaines like broadway title to get a tile.

in fact not all states will even except broadway titles paper work and wa state is one of them as there a certified title state as were allot of states are not as well as not all states require vechicle to be titled and instead only regestered.

next the info i have posted may be of some help to get you truck titled but is not intend to tell you the year of your truck.

further more just because the title and the vin/id tag on the cab match does not mean that the title is the correct are right title for your truck.

reason i say this is because it is clear buy your posting that you have an earlier cab and vin tag yet a latter frame/chassis that has a differant wheelbase than what the cabs data tag says

so instead i belive what you have is a truck that somebuddy has put together using more than one truck.

more than likely being they had 2 trucks are a truck and cab.

yet only one title and they put things together and hoodwinked/flangled paper work to get the truck titled ilegaly and inproperly.
how ever the person you bought it from my have bought it this way themself not know what had bin done.
lastly if you work with your local dmv and state patrol i am sure that you can get it all straightened out and gey a legal title for the truck even though it may not be titled as any thing other than a 2013 assembly are what ever year you finish it because some one has already screwed up once and i am sure your local state patrol is not going to let it happen again.
robert/kb48

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Hidden or exposed hinges

I've dealt with WA. WSP too on titles,

my 37 Diamond T came from Cali. it had a 4 digit vin. back then you had to have out of state vehicles inspected, they make you stay in the car while doing it, guy crawled around my truck for 1/2hr. I offered to show it to him, "we get these in all the time" he says, uh huh, exactly how many 1937 Diamond T's have you seen?
finally he lets me show him the vin.

now they don't require inspection, unless you have an issue,

when I sold my 37 GMC a few yrs. ago, title didn't match cab ID tag, or frame. it was going to Hawaii so vin had to be good,

I asked WSP about it, they said I could come in and have title matched to one of the numbers, with some hoop jumping,

fortunately I was able to contact the guy I got it from and he told me it was titled off the motor, I finally found it under layer of crud,

I also had a 1945 KB-3 titled off motor that was long gone, had a SBC in it. there was no # on the truck anywhere close to what was on title, didn't have any problem titling or selling it.

I have a couple L series titles with cab ID plates I'm keeping on hand for that non-titled truck I can't pass up.

in WA. they aren't as strict, but other states are.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Previous

Return to L, R and S