axles

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:09 pm

axles

I am building a l130. This is not a 1/2 ton but a 1-1/2 ton
I am looking for ideas on axles because i can not find any brakes.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:19 pm

Re: axles

What part of brakes are you missing? Drums? Don't say shoes. You can reline those, yourself.
Can you send a picture of your truck?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=b ... g&_sacat=0

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Are you going to use this truck as a Truck that works? If so, then you want to find axles that will do the job. If it is more for driving around, then look to a 1 ton set of axles that will "fit" the Width. It will require modification. As MM stated, shoes can be relined. there is a place that can more than likely sleeve your drums(not real cheap) but keeps you with original equipment.
Options out there.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:50 am

My predictable suggestion is to fit a set of DANA 60 axles to the springs in your truck. Axles from an F230 Ford about 1997, should work really well. I think the F250 will have the IFS front suspension and you do not want that.
This is by far the simplest way to get modern axles with parts availability. Buy new axle "U" bolts and bolt the axles in. Some simple fabrication is required to move and orreplace the spring perche on the axles. Many of these F350 axles have 4:10 gearing, but 3:75 was available and 3:54 is more rare.
I bought a set of Dana 60 axles from WASNEY Ford recyclers. The front axle is a high pinion Dana 60 and I chose an E350 rear axle, from an Econoline, for the disc brakes and power-lock differential. These axles will be going under an R120 Orrville Crewcab. The track width can be adjusted by using 2002 or later Dodge Ram 2500/3500 wheels with a positive offset. The Dodge wheel have the same 8 bolt pattern as Ford until 1999. Ford went metric with their bolt pattern and this eliminates Ford axles for this application because the wheel options become limiting. https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/m ... -explained
I make an IHC centre cap for Dodge Ram wheels.
Attachments
RAM 2011 WHEELS WARN HUB.jpg
take off wheels.jpg
take off wheels.jpg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
Dodge wheel and hubcap with milled IH logo (2).jpg
Dodge wheel and hubcap with milled IH logo (2).jpg (25.73 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:45 pm

old blue.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:42 pm

This thread needs to be moved to L,R, and S.
The picture should have something written with it. It would be a good idea to see some sort of response to the information posted.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:39 pm

Ahhhh! BIG SIX! Bolt pattern, that is...
I found out by test fitting similar-year 1/2 ton IHC components that you can swap THAT front axle and spindles to 1/2 ton if you wish. You just need the easier to find 1/2 ton stuff. Backing plates, drums, shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders. You end up with the 5x4.5 inch common "Ford" bolt pattern.
Still easier than swapping in a new axle up front...?
I learned this swap on my 1960 B series IHC truck. I took mid-50s R Series IHC 1/2 ton brake stuff off my donor truck
The REAR axle is a dfferent deal. Perhaps take the rear axle from the same vehicle you steal the front change-over parts from?
I want to go on record as saying the big six stuff (including wheels) is COOL to look at and would be nice to keep if you could.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:39 pm

I think R130 and S130 use the same brake parts if that helps any. I know rear shoes are hard to find . I'm pretty sure you can get front axle parts , Rockauto lists them.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:54 am

I really love my 6 bolt rims
Would love to keep them

Can not find drums
And at $235 each for the front and its a 5 bolt.
I would rather change the axel / diff

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:54 am

Steve, your price listed is close to what it would cost to "sleeve" the drums, ea. It does have a "cool" look, but "cool" comes at a high cost in my opinion. If you are not going to "work" this truck like it was made for, go with the axle upgrades that others have done. 8.8 disk explorer rear, front axle from a 1/2 ton IH of similar vintage and disk brake conversion. The other option is as Nikki suggested, some Dana axles that will fit with some modification. Of course, you will need to change out the "joint" where drive line hooks to rear axle, but that is minor.
Just my opinion.
Next

Return to L, R and S