Rookie

Post Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:15 am

6 volt system

how do I switch from 6 volt to 12 volt on1956 s110

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:33 am

Re: 6 volt system

1st protect the gauges with a 12-6 volt convertor, next change starter, generator voltage regulator, and all bulbs, change the fan in the heater and wipers if electric. Change the coil. Change the starter solenoid.
'56 is around the chnage-over year, are you sure yours is 6 volt? Look at the voltage reg, it may be marked, look at the generator or starter tag, if red, it is 12 volt, if black it is 6 volt. Change the battery.
Lot of work to go thru to end up back where you started, in my opinion.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:29 am

probably get more response in the L, R, S, section than the trucks for sale section,

that being said, with now days group 2 battery, beefy cables, 6 volt halogen lights, 6 volts ain't so bad, 6v. halogen lights are brighter than 12v. incandescent,

I used to convert my trucks to 12v. but now EZ starting, bright lights with 6v. why go thru it all, (I know CB, shocking yes, considering our conversations in the past)

unless you want to put in a boss radio/dvd system, and now days you can get an inverter to bump up to 12v. for that anyway,

my 1/5 of a dime,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:38 am

Will kick this over to the L,R,S forum.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:28 pm

bedrockjon wrote: (I know CB, shocking yes, considering our conversations in the past)

After converting you over to my way of thinking, my evangelical mission is complete. my soul is safe, and I have stopped trying to convert others :t1809: , just tell them all they have to go thru, and try and convince them to protect the gauges before they do anything else!
Don't take this post too seriously, please not ment to offend anyone.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:36 pm

actually it was the 6v. halogen bulbs that did it,

but you can take credit, you did/do have great knowledge in making 6v. work, fat cables, bigger battery,,,,,and believing in the impossible,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:01 pm

I'll dissent and descend into Hell...
6V is just weird and weird is not good.
Our old vehicles have to be able to "interface" with modern times if you care to drive them regularly.
6V is just an unknown "technology" for just about everyone.
I don't know about you, I'd like to float downstream once in awhile. This paddling "against the current" stuff is not for me. 6V is a STRUGGLE. 12V is understood.
If I were to come across an absolute sweetheart of an old truck I'd be inclined to leave it 6V. My 1940 D-2 might be that truck...Otherwise, 12V it is!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:35 pm

Then why not "whitewater raft" with 24 volt? It is what the rest of the world does on trucks!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:39 pm

my 49 panel I bought a few years back, had rebuilt 6v. starter, rebuilt 6v. generator, new 6v. coil, new 6v. regulator,

just needed light bulbs & battery, so for me it was a no brainier to keep it 6v. then being able to keep gauges, original heater, wipers etc.

now If I had to replace all those components then I'd probably go 12v. because the 12v. stuff is cheaper and easier to find,

getting those halogen 6v. lights and group 2 made my decision even easier with the panel.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:31 am

I left my KB 6 original , 6 volt . I put a new wiring harness on it along with rebuilding the gauges . I took the advise I got here and ran the larger cables to the starter . Starter was OK and did not need a rebuild , generator was rebuilt , new voltage regulator , and large size 6 volt battery , [ may be 8 volt ,I forget ] . Any way , after 5000 or so miles all is well . Always starts , charges fine ,gauges read correct , whats not to like ?
I think that the change over to 12 volt involves replacing the old 6 v with new 12 v stuff , maybe just get new 6 v stuff ?
6 v halogen ? I will have to check that out , anyone know the part numbers for my truck ? That's the only drawback is the lights are not as bright as the new vehicles on the road . What is a problem is when the other vehicles high beams hit my flat glass windshield , wow , need sun glasses 8-)
Next

Return to L, R and S