RLR Sandwich

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:59 pm

RLR Sandwich

I've got three of these, total: two R PUs and one nicer L Pickup SHEETMETAL.
My situation is:
I have no frame for the L. I have two mostly complete Rs w/frames. I have one low mileage Toyota PU EFI donor pickup.
My plan: make one stock, nice, fancy R pu with the six cylinder, Hydramatic 4speed and radio...one ratty R pu on the Toyota EFI frame and the L on the remaining R frame?
If the L sheetmetal is too nice maybe I should wait for a L pu frame?
Hereabouts I could wait a long time. We just don't see many L-R-S trucks. Never have. I would know.
Any suggestions?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: RLR Sandwich

Make me an offer I can't refuse
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:00 pm

Very nice, Nikki! Thank you for your offer!
I will take that into consideration!
:)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:25 am

good news for you is L, R, S, all share the same frames, well 4 frames to be precise, short wheelbase light frame 100, 110, 120, short wheelbase heavy 130,

long wheelbase light, 100, 110, 120, long wheelbase heavy 130,

I was looking for a stock frame for my 56 travelall that had been planted onto a 60s IHC frame and researching parts books I also found pickups and panels/travelalls used same frames as well,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:01 pm

So BRJ, no one will give me crap over using an "R" frame?
No reason to bring it up if they are all the "same", I guess... Save model and serial number...
Are R and L beds the same? I think my L came with a Ford bed.
All else being equal, are L PUs any more desireable than Rs? Or vice versa? I think I prefer the R grille.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:07 pm

In my view, I like the L Grille, but that is me and what was on the first IH I encountered when I was young. The most noticeable difference, outside of the grill, is the single window in the back as opposed to the two in the L and very early R. Just my opinion, others may vary.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:25 pm

MM, what do you care if someone gives you some grief. BRJ likes the "L" grill and I prefer the "R" grill. For a person installing a Turbo Diesel, there is more room behind the "L" grill for the intercooler.
I would not take an early "L" with the hidden hinges even if it was free to me.
One of the objectionable things that I have done is to take the hood supports out of an "L" hood and weld them into and "R" hood. I use the "L" inner fenders with the cantilevered hinges to make a better and more stable "R" hood.
Something else to enrage the "patina persons' and the-keep-it-original" persons, I am going to repair the back of our single rear window crew-cab and convert the cab to twin windows. The original three opening doors will become four operating doors. Can you say Diesel and 4X4 in one sentence and not get some flack?
I have a "back burner" hood modification I have been keeping in mind. I want to build a hinge system that allows the IHC hoods to latch at the cab and tilt forward. The OEM hood latches could continue to be used. Once again I am taking build clues from BMW. I was offered a free BMW hood tilt and latch system to experiment with.
I have a half completed 1940 Ford forward tilt hood system. I am only keeping this junk on the off-chance some of the bits and pieces may work on an IHC.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=forward+ ... 94&bih=522
This old stuff is worth as much as the person who needs the part will pay. I have experienced not being able to sell a complete pickup but the same $750-cdn for a grill was the right price for another person.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:57 pm

I'd thought I'd check.
The clean "L" stuff is from two young men who got overuled by their father...their Dodge Diesel/ L series pickup meld had to go...I guess they had no "safe" place to build it?
I only got the sheetmetal.
Looks to be in nice shape!
I have a 1980s Dodge PU, a late 1990s Toyota PU, a 1990 Toyota PU, and a 1990s Ford Ranger as donors if I went that route.
Or...stay stockish.
The twin rear windows is twin cool in my opinion. Early R had that? I'm learning all the time.
I can only guess that Ford, Chevy, Dodge outsold IHC during those years in the Central Valley. So very few of them here.
Hidden hinge vs. not hidden hinge. Another mystery to me.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:34 pm

I can get some pictures of the hidden hinge if you are interested. Early R would be Early 53. Think it was a use up "stock" on the cabs, hoods and grill where a change, Keep in mind, if you put an R grill on an L pickup, you will also need the hood from the R.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:56 pm

You will also need the fender aprons to match the year of the hood.
Next

Return to L, R and S