RLR Sandwich

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Re: RLR Sandwich

Monsonmotors wrote:So BRJ, no one will give me crap over using an "R" frame?
No reason to bring it up if they are all the "same", I guess... Save model and serial number...
Are R and L beds the same? I think my L came with a Ford bed.
All else being equal, are L PUs any more desireable than Rs? Or vice versa? I think I prefer the R grille.

same bed on L, R, S trucks 3 types, short, long, extra long, only real change on beds is sometime in production they added a center support strip at bottom of tailgate, not sure when that was added, I've had both types with and without center support,

basically L, R, S, share a buttload of parts, only real difference between a exposed hinge L, and first generation R (twin rear window cab) is hood/grill, and instrument cluster centers & control knobs,

second generation R, and S are basically the same other than hood/grill, and instrument cluster centers & control knobs,

Of course there are mechanical and tiny improvements during production,

I have a L parts catalog that is about an inch and half thick , then I have an R addendum parts catalog, it say to use L catalog and R for just the differences, most of the chapters have nothing more, or just a little, the R catalog is probably about 30 pages total?

so they didn't do a whole lot of changes between the 3 models, not like the change from K to L, even then there are some mechanical parts that K & L, R, S, share,

the hood supports that hold up the butterfly hood on my KB-6 are same part number as supports for upper tailgate on a 1956 travelall

so it goes,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:36 pm

oh, And I agree with Nikki, the L hood attaching system is way better than the R, EZ to put L set up on a R,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:59 pm

Lots of help, thanks!
Previous

Return to L, R and S