Vent window seal

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:34 pm

Vent window seal

I'm hoping I can get some information out of you guys. I'm in the middle of fixing up a 1969 International F210D. It is a class 8 truck that uses the single rear window "comfo-vision" cab, very similar to the cab used on the trucks that this section is for. Well, I got the big door and window seal kit from restoration specialties and for the most part, I'm very happy with it. I'm not happy with the piece of rubber the give you to glue in for the vent window seal. The factory used rubber vulcanized to a steel strip and then riveted to the front window channel. Restoration specialties sent a piece of rubber that I guess you are supposed to glue into place. That's not gonna make it for me, anyone have a better solution? Thanks in advance, Andy

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:57 am

Re: Vent window seal

Probably not going to get much help.

The early Comfo-Vision cabs had shorter door windows/vent windows. Vent window seals for those seem to be readily available. In the '55 model year, with the switch to the single rear cab window, they also made the door window openings and the vent windows taller. I don't know that anyone has offered a suitable vent window seal for the '55-up models.

You might THINK that, since there were so many more of those built, the aftermarket would come through for us. You might also be wrong.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:02 am

Determine if it is old style Fleetstar D or new style Fleetstar. If the "older style" check page 17 on this site: http://oldinternationaltrucks.ca/PartsCatalog.pdf This is up in Canada, but they do ship across border. This is on that page:
41. VENT WINDOW SEAL RS6168IHCVENT $345.99
kinda expensive, but if it fits the bill.... and do not forget, the exchange rate is in our favor right now.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:31 am

I THOUGHT I saw somewhere that the later model taller vent seal is being reproduced now, only the short one was available for a long time, I'll have to investigate further,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Seems like somebody on this forum, I think, maybe not, got a set from "Class-tech-cars". I'll call chad and see if he has them. I need a set for a 56 R series.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Ok, some good info here already, and I really appreciate it guys. I attached a few more pictures to make it clear what I'm working on and what I need. I just bought these vent windows NOS on eBay and I hope that they are correct. http://m.ebay.com/itm/401315306316. So hopefully that works and the actual vent window seals I got from restoration specialties appear to be from metro and look as though they will fit great. The seal that goes between the vent window and the front window track is the one that is not working out. In the picture it shows the outer vent window frame and the factory seal that is vulcanized to a sheet metal L bracket. The factory than rivited the L bracket to the window channel, which works out well. The seal the send you has no metal in it and apparently they want you to glue it to the channel. That is not gonna last for a minute and it seems like there has to be something on the market that can be modified to work here. Any advice is appreciated, Thanks. Andy
Attachments
IMG_20170908_195449.jpg
IMG_20170908_195723.jpg
IMG_20170908_195525.jpg

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Andy, I drilled out the rivets and removed the metal piece. Cleaned it up and glued the seal on the post. Works fine. If you decide to use the seal, remember the "V" goes toward the inside.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:16 pm

I guess I will give it another go, but I'm not thrilled with it. Any recommendations on adhesive? Thanks, Andy

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:32 pm

Andy, I used the 3M black adhesive. I taped the edge of the post to keep the adhesive off the paint. I was also going to suggest checking out some of the older Ford vent window seals. IH used a lot of stuff similar to ford. I bought a pair of window seals for my truck the were Ford. Some of the 40's and 50's vent window rear seals used rivets. Just a thought.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:05 pm

I talked with Chad at class-tech-cars. Currently out of stock but will have them shortly at $275.
Next

Return to L, R and S