55 R100 Truck Bed

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:28 pm

Re: 55 R100 Truck Bed

bedrockjon wrote:I've seen replacement metal floors for GMC beds somewhere, I thought Mar-K had em, but don't see in their catalog, http://www.mar-k.com/index.php?p=innovations

pattern is basically the same on most metal bed floors,

I too looked on their site and they mostly have stuff for a wood floor bed, didn't see any steel products at all, except panels.

Even LMC Truck has mostly wood floor kits. They do have metal panels 16" x 48" at 30 bucks.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:50 am

WEW51L110 wrote:One treatment you can go to is a hybrid wood arrangement. I had a utility trailer that I got tired of replacing rotting wood on and replaced the floor with composite wood boards - deck boards. Made from recycled plastic. I used the stainless strips for a pick up truck and milled the composite boards to fit. If you can do anything with wood, you can do it to these boards. It all depends on what you want to end up with. Granted they are not cheap, but they are non slip and will last a long time. Just one of the options available to you if you think outside the box.

I looked at the deck boards and you're right about not being cheap. I also did some other searching and found some other ideas that are possible, such as diamond plate for the bed. I'd be looking at aluminum as it's easier to handle by myself and cheaper than steel.

But I'm just doing recon at this time to gather info and ideas.
Attachments
bedfloor001.jpg
Diamond plate bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:39 am

IIRC, the width of the L/R/S bed floor is something like 52 or 54 inches wide. So a standard 4x8 sheet of steel or aluminum won't completely fill it. Plan on adding the necessary width to compensate.

I like the idea of the aluminum diamond plate. Just remember to "gasket" between the steel and the aluminum, so that electrolytic corrosion is minimized.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:33 am

Funny you should mention aluminum tread plate. That's what I used on the trailer sides bolted to a steel framework. Since I don't have a source for welding aluminum, I choose not to use it for the floor. Plus, in Florida, in the sun it gets quite hot. That could matter depending on what you're putting on it and even though it's intended for walking on, gets quite slippery, especially when wet. Not sure how it would be cheaper than steel, too, unless you're choosing to place it over the old floor.
As been said, your truck, your choice.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:00 am

http://auctions.findtarget.com/detail_p ... _plate_60/

They do make aluminum tread plate 1/4" x 60" x96" one piece.
That would look clean.

With more google research I see 5'x10' 'foot sheets. It may be available in anodized colors also. sorry no time for link.
I get my high on heavy iron, the older and heavier the better I feel.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:30 pm

Buzzman72 wrote:IIRC, the width of the L/R/S bed floor is something like 52 or 54 inches wide. So a standard 4x8 sheet of steel or aluminum won't completely fill it. Plan on adding the necessary width to compensate.

I like the idea of the aluminum diamond plate. Just remember to "gasket" between the steel and the aluminum, so that electrolytic corrosion is minimized.

Thanks for reminding me about using a gasket between the two metals. I had forgotten about dissimilar metal electrolysis.
From some of the blogs I read, they cut across the sheets and put in two pieces to go from side to side.

Also, from some of the metal sites i looked at, steel cost more than aluminum at the quarter inch thickness. I would not want to go thicker, not only for cost, but weight as well.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:41 pm

mikelud wrote:http://auctions.findtarget.com/detail_product/272825474139/aluminum_diamond_plate_60/

They do make aluminum tread plate 1/4" x 60" x96" one piece.
That would look clean.

With more google research I see 5'x10' 'foot sheets. It may be available in anodized colors also. sorry no time for link.

I was wondering about it coming in larger sizes, as the photo I provided indicates it comes in one piece.
Thanks for this link showing that they make larger size sheets. Unfortunately, at that price it is a pickup only, which is out of the question from here in the southwest. They do offer arrangements for shipping, but I believe that would be cost prohibitive.

Also I have seen photos of anodized colors, but not a lot of other info about them.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:09 pm

Buzzman72 wrote:IIRC, the width of the L/R/S bed floor is something like 52 or 54 inches wide. So a standard 4x8 sheet of steel or aluminum won't completely fill it. Plan on adding the necessary width to compensate.

Buzz,
I'm thinking of installing a full sheet on top of the old bed. I now know about using spacers between the two metals and I believe the spacers will need to either be numerous or fairly large.

I was wondering, what about cleaning up the old bed the best that I can, using a good metal prep (Ospho is one), and then maybe covering the floor with some kind of rubberized coating and then installing the aluminum plate?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:48 am

jemiller33 wrote:

Buzz,
I'm thinking of installing a full sheet on top of the old bed. I now know about using spacers between the two metals and I believe the spacers will need to either be numerous or fairly large.

I was wondering, what about cleaning up the old bed the best that I can, using a good metal prep (Ospho is one), and then maybe covering the floor with some kind of rubberized coating and then installing the aluminum plate?

That sounds like a great idea...the one caveat is to make sure no moisture [rain water, etc.] can get between the sheets.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:27 pm

Please excuse the quality of the photo..
I use T&G wood Brazilian Apitong for Truck Decking
Green washed it but , it looks good in its natural state too.
I ran shallow struct under the screw lines and attached with 3/8 round heads with fender washer.
Not cheap around 4 bucks per board foot when I installed it back in 06 but holds up very well..
Just a thought...
Info link:
http://www.abswood.com/apitong-keruing-truck-decking
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S