What gauge sheet metal to use?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:41 pm

What gauge sheet metal to use?

Have a couple repairs to do to the cab corners and I am going to fill in the radio hole on the dash. Anybody know what gauge sheet metal was used for these two areas on the S series?
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:29 pm

Re: What gauge sheet metal to use?

18 gauge.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:45 am

Keven, When I redid my cab corners it was a bit tricky as the sheet metal was nearly rusted thru from the inside. The drain holes were plugged and trapped h2o and dirt that was about one inch thick in there. I opened up the drain holes a little, used a pressure sprayer to flush everything out. When I tried to weld the pin holes the 18 gauge metal just disappeared, I ended up making backing plates from 18 gauge, wedged them in place and filled the holes from the outside then ground the corners back into the correct shape. Ended the process with Eastwoods frame coating rattle can ( that comes with a 18" tube and nozzle) to coat everything on the inside. Has held up for a couple of years now.

Terrell,
Columbia, Mo.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:22 am

KSever wrote:Have a couple repairs to do to the cab corners and I am going to fill in the radio hole on the dash. Anybody know what gauge sheet metal was used for these two areas on the S series?

Keven,
Are your cab corners rotten thru?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:58 pm

jemiller33 wrote:
KSever wrote:Have a couple repairs to do to the cab corners and I am going to fill in the radio hole on the dash. Anybody know what gauge sheet metal was used for these two areas on the S series?

Keven,
Are your cab corners rotten thru?

They are but not bad, it was from sand in southern Texas/Mexico border

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:00 pm

cut them out and make new out of 16 ga.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:32 pm

tigwelder wrote:cut them out and make new out of 16 ga.

This is my whole plan, wanted to make sure I get the right gauge metal. Then I'm going to learn how to tig weld.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:19 pm

I believe i used 18g to fab mine. 16 is pretty stiff stuff to work with unless you have some nice fab tools

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:41 am

Terrell wrote:Keven, When I redid my cab corners it was a bit tricky as the sheet metal was nearly rusted thru from the inside. The drain holes were plugged and trapped h2o and dirt that was about one inch thick in there. I opened up the drain holes a little, used a pressure sprayer to flush everything out. When I tried to weld the pin holes the 18 gauge metal just disappeared, I ended up making backing plates from 18 gauge, wedged them in place and filled the holes from the outside then ground the corners back into the correct shape. Ended the process with Eastwoods frame coating rattle can ( that comes with a 18" tube and nozzle) to coat everything on the inside. Has held up for a couple of years now.

Terrell,
Columbia, Mo.

I have the similar situation with sheet metal being eaten out and not having much to work with in doing the repair. In this thread I've seen both 16 and 18 gauge for sheet metal. What does the majority say?

From the enclosed photos, it appears to me that mine might be 18 gauge, but I'm not for sure as it is really rusted out good.

By the way, does anyone have some good pictures of the front inside panels (Driver and Passenger) on the cab? If so please post or PM me with them.
This is a 55 R-100.
Attachments
Inside Dr Side-Reduced.jpg
Inside Driver side looking out
Outside Passenger-reduced.jpg
Passenger side
Inside Pass-Reduced.jpg
From the inside looking out

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:50 pm