fuel sending unit

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:31 pm

fuel sending unit

Hey out there My name is Bill with a 52 l110 longbed.I had to bite the bullit and drop the tank to check for rust and guess what i found ?I RUST i have to get tank boiled and coated. Is there a source for a fuel sending unit out there as the gauge is working? im also still looking for a horn.What is the compatibility between the l and r series trucks?> thanks in advance

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Re: fuel sending unit

If other IHC owners know which state or province you live it is a big incentive to offer help.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:53 am

The last two I purchased came from Ebay for around $40. Horns are also on Ebay but a little pricey. Do you have a parts book for your truck? If not, get one. It makes life much simpler. A lot of the L and R series parts will interchange but there are many slight differences. Just enough to make you pull your hair out. My trucks are all medium and heavy duty so the light duty trucks are a little out of my comfort zone. Good luck with your project.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:57 am

The sending unit most people buy--because NOS are few and far between--is the one from Bob Drake, a Ford products supplier. Ford also used King-Seeley gauges same as IH.

The sender is part number 99A-9275. The float is brass and the float arm is adjustable to fit your tank.

The neoprene sender gasket they send is thicker than the cork original, and I discovered that AutoZoo [AutoZone] has 5mm bolts of the same thread pitch as the original sending unit screws, but in the length you need. [Sorry, I didn't write down the length at the time I did mine.]
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:43 am

thanjs for your help

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks Buzz sender is on the way.It also comes with the longer screws. thanks for everyones heip.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:52 pm

I will be very interested to see if it works. I tried the Ford one once in my KB-2 with no luck. Of course that could be installation/operator error on my part. - Stickman 207

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:03 pm

I put an original FERD sender, not a repop in my 49 KB-1 panel, seems to work fine, gets along with the gauge, no fighting,

I have 2 NOS IHC senders in my garage but the panel didn't make the grade to be worthy of unobtainium,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to L, R and S