Help: What engine did you swap in?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:13 am

Re: Help: What engine did you swap in?

What I wasn't sure about was whether the 4cyl. Eco-boost was offered here in the Mustang or if the smallest combination offered centered around the V6. A visit to the Mustang web-site confirmed that the Eco-boost package for Mustang does include the 4cyl. engine. That package is advertised as 2.3L, 310hp, 320lb-ft of torque. Very respectable numbers considering the '96 Mustang GT convertible I owned with the 4.6L V8 mod motor was slightly more powerful. 310 is a lot of horsepower from a 4cyl engine and should power an old IHC quite respectably for anyone wishing to try that approach.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:19 am

That is just mindblowing numbers from the same displacement, if not the same block design(?) of the old Pinto/ Ranger base engine!
I would love to sit in on a schooling class to see how they did it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:16 am

I haven't done the research yet to see how bore and stroke compares with the 2.3L in the Pinto, but the comparison may only lie in the math that gets you to 2.3L displacement. Improved fuel delivery, as has been noted, improvement in valves/springs, variable timing and in large part due to forced induction (turbo), improved metallurgy, adding electronic controls are the fruits of many years of improving over what had previously been seen only as promising. In other words improved technology.

I'd like to throw another wrinkle into this discussion. Anyone other than me ever wonder how the independent rear suspension from a late model Explorer would work out transplanted into an old truck or car would turn out? I recall Jag and Corvette independent rears being utilized, but was just curious about something a little less exotic. Many independent rears are being offered by after market suppliers, but to salvage an Explorer rear and install it, how tough and practical would that be?
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:36 am

Anyway you cut it, even if it has nothing in common with the older design it is impressive.
IRS should be do-able with salvaged parts, but is more complex than straight axle, it may be easier to take MM approach and do a chassie swap.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:24 pm

WEW51, that Exploder IRS is a MESS. Stay away from it. My business partner worked for Ford and those things were nothing but problems. Leaking and noise. Google it.
In fact, nothing from this "plastic fantastic" Exploder is wonderful. We've replaced four plastic thermostat housings from the factory. Junk. Leakers. They "bloom" dried coolant.
Another lower mileage Exploder came in with EGR module codes. Another $500, no doubt.
Japanese vehicles just don't usually have all these issues, sorry to say.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:48 pm

It would seem to me that most "Japanese". Vehicles for sale in North America are made in North America. Some vehicles made in North America are not for our consumption and are shipped overseas. Two German manufacturers make right hand drive vehicles here for export only.
Our local Harley Davidson dealer sells Harleys made in India.
Off subject.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:46 pm

I like my lump even more

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:32 pm

And China thinks a Buick is a Mercedes-Benz.
My day-to-day experiences with "badges" then, is that the vehicles with badges that have Honda, Toyota, Mazda and Nissan on them tend to be of overall better quality than the vehicles with badges that have Kia, Hyundai and Daewoo on them.
And...unfortunately...the vehicles with badges that have Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan on them are of overall better quality than the vehicles with Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge on their badges.
It's SO much easier to say "Japanese, Korean, American", Nikki. :)
German cars are designed by blind, plastic-sniffing monks in Germany and HECHO en MEXICO. At least the ones I see are.
The only bright spot for American vehicles is PICKUPS. They're OK.
Let the riot begin.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:03 am

I was working from 2000-2005 in the main plant that built frames for the 2002-up Explorer. The frame was made as a front module, rear module, and in the Marriage and Makeup section of the lines, the center frame rails joined the front and rear mods together. The frames were immersed in the E-coater, so that the inner and outer structures were both sealed/rustproofed...quite a technological improvement over the hot wax dip used on previous generation frames.

But unlike the Lincoln/TBird IRS, the suspension wasn't a separate module; it was integral to the frame, just as your old IH truck suspension is. The upper and lower control arm mounts [UCA and LCA] were welded to the frame. The IRS axles passed through "portholes" in the frame, to lower the center of gravity. SO...to use the 2002-up Explorer rear IRS, be prepared to do some serious welding.

[The Explorer frames were welded together using .045" ER70S-6 MIG wire...in case you were interested. My main job on the line was on rear mod, at the op that added the portholes and then joined the inner and outer frame rails together. I assembled the inner and outer rail in the fixture, added the porthole; the fixture pressed the inner and outer rails together, and then I tack-welded the porthole before the assembled rail went to the next fixture for the robots to weld the inner and outer rails together and weld the circumference of the porthole.]
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:34 am

I have owned nothing but fords for years and have had no issues whatsoever with any of them. my experience they are very high quality.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S