Help: What engine did you swap in?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:23 am

Re: Help: What engine did you swap in?

Well, I didn't really mean to start a firestorm about automobile brands. We all have opinions about what's good and what's not. I've learned over the years that any brand is capable of making a good car/truck, as well as they're capable of making lemons. I've heard it said that opinions are like noses. Everybody's got one! (Just don't stick your nose into my opinion.)
The info about the independent rear is helpful. I've never had the opportunity to get up under an Explorer to examine how they are mounted. It just seems there are a lot of them and a resource that's being underutilized by hobbyists, but if they are not worth using or are not practical, maybe that's why no one is using them. I was just posing the question to see if anyone else had considered it.
Buzzman, thanks for your very succinct explanation. That's the kind of info I was looking for. Descriptions.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:41 am

It was a valid question, and it seam the answer is: it was designed to have the axle go thru the frame in between the upper and lower control arm mounts, making it difficult to adapt to other frame types (hump frame).
All mfg have good and bad, remember Gm's thought that they didn't have to machine gasket surfaces and could get a good seal with RTV? What a disaster that was!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:08 pm

One of the original hotrod IRS systems was transplanted out of the Jaguar. There was noting easy about that adapting. I installed a Jaguar IRS in a 1934 car for someone. The Jaguar IRS came in a modular cage and after taking the cage off, the IRS became a floppy collection of bits and pieces. This is where fabrication skills could turn the steel octopus into a thing of beauty. I would not be surprised is the Explorer bits and pieces could be repurposed with about as much fabrication as the Jaguar IFS of the "old daze".
I have to go and visit my Ford recycler friend this week. I will have a look at what he has and maybe form a better educated opinion. I would not install an IRS in a pickup for myself.
I might see if I can borrow a TEC5 transmission to see if I can adapt it to an Old IHC engine.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:15 am

Anybody try Chevy Atlas 6 cyl 4.1L? Stock 275 lbs-ft torque, but i see people getting over 400 woth a turbo.

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:19 am

my52L110 wrote:Its funny, back in the day my user name used to be 52L110, but the site changed, and I lost that login, so started a new one.

My friends and I swapped in a 350TBI into my truck, with power brakes, power steering, and a turbo 400 transmission and a 10 bolt rear.

I wouldn't change a thing.

I was surprised to find 52L110 open. Worst part is, after all thede years i had forgotten that the truck is actually an L112. The tag says L110 series on it. I may have to ask if i can change and free this up for you.

The 383 stroker motor looks really nice for this truck too.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:40 am

You'd have to go back a few years, but previously chronicled in one of the threads I announced my truck is equipped with a 383 stroker, Blueprint Engines crate motor, sourced through Summit Racing. Their catalog says 420 hp, 450lb-ft, but the dyno sheet that came with it shows it peaked at 432hp, 454lb-ft. That's a lot of power for this truck, but I knew it would be my only chance to have something "out of the ordinary" and the price was reasonable enough not to break the bank. How you achieve your 383 is up to you - build or buy, but my truck gets a lot of attention when it's on display. I don't regret the decision! For the same effort to install a 350/5.7L engine, going the stroker route multiplies the power output exponentially. It's your truck, build it your way.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:23 pm

mikelud wrote:I have a 79 Datsun 280 zx with 5 speed that the body is rusted away. When parked it ran well. Inline 6 may fit well in an old truck I have been thinking abouut transplanting chassy and all in something, maybe beefed up.
They were good cars. I bought a 79 new and drove it 230 thousand with only a clutch change because I loaned it out. That car sold me on fuel injection. I think they used those engines in small planes
Drawback it's not north american engine in a us built truck.

I considered an older Jap inline 6 for mine (1JZ/2JZ, RB25/26, etc.) but my buddy smacked me upside the head and said no :t3716: I think it would be neat and something different but I went ford modular v8 instead. The firewall has suffered greatly for that decision.
-Joe
'54 R112

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:49 pm

Just a quick note for those who may be thinking "User Name change" Can not be done. Only way to "free" one up is for the account to be deleted. Not a recommended path. For anyone interested, those User names from before 2012 were all lost when the site and it's host was hacked. Those members with the same user name were lucky enough to get back on before someone else used it.

Hey, we do not really care what user name you use, We are Glad you are HERE!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:11 am

Gots a sol wrote
I considered an older Jap inline 6 for mine (1JZ/2JZ, RB25/26, etc.) but my buddy smacked me upside the head and said no :t3716: I think it would be neat and something different but I went ford modular v8 instead. The firewall has suffered greatly for that decision.

There isnt much doubt it would be a good fit but I couldnt do it either. Back when I bought that car I caught hell from the union guys. I completely understood but in 79 we were not making good cars. I was tired of buying cars that rattled with pre ignition problems and had a mile of worthless vacume lines hooked up to a worthless vacume pump.
I bought a 75 Trans. Am new and hated it.
I get my high on heavy iron, the older and heavier the better I feel.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:59 am

Late 70's early 80's was a bad time for domestic auto makes, they felt they could keep doing what they always did (promote big heavy V-8s) and de tune them enough to pass emissions. Neither were true. Add to that their formula for getting better mileage, make the metal thinner everywhere, and what came out was a pile of junk.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S