Help: What engine did you swap in?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:50 pm

Re: Help: What engine did you swap in?

I'm feeling reincarnated... As 52L112! With the help of our hard working moderators, thanks!

As of today, LS3 is the engine. I like Chevy, I like gas, I like the sound. LS3 hits >400 lbs-ft torque at lower RPMs than LS7.

A 383 Stroker is a close second with similar torque at a much lower RPM. But the cast iron block is 100-150 lbs heavier. Fuel consumption (not that it really matters with so few miles anticipated) will also be worse than the LS3.

The Vortec4200/Atlas engine is intriguing. With a turbo, you can get over 400 lbs-ft torque which is where I'm headed. But the engine is old. It's better to go with something contemporary that has a really large following today.

The diesels are interesting, especially if you want to keep the inline six and have a huge torque. The Cummins 6 cyl is 1100 lbs! Yowsa! The v8's can get 700-900 lbs torque which would really make it move, but the sound isn't what I'm looking for. If I were a diesel guy, that would be different story.

Still working on the garage project, timeline is a year to arrival...
52 L112, the truck I learned to drive on now sits in my barn.
What I do with it is the next adventure.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:45 am

GDI is my next great adventure. Somehow, somewhere.
LS motors have lost their luster with me. Too many oil pump/ sudden oil consumption/ low oil pressure/ valve spring/ roller lifter turning sideways and cutting a groove in the camshaft problems for me.
I'm grumpy about it because I'm in the trenches repairing these things. I nearly lost a longtime customer last year over low oil pressure in his replacement LS in his Avalanche. It was INTERMITTENT, to boot.
GM knows that certain valve cover versions will suck four quarts of oil out of the crankcase over a weekend, no recall?
The "cylinder cancelling" versions are their own kinda hell.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:29 pm

Monsonmotors wrote:GDI is my next great adventure. Somehow, somewhere.
LS motors have lost their luster with me. Too many oil pump/ sudden oil consumption/ low oil pressure/ valve spring/ roller lifter turning sideways and cutting a groove in the camshaft problems for me.
I'm grumpy about it because I'm in the trenches repairing these things. I nearly lost a longtime customer last year over low oil pressure in his replacement LS in his Avalanche. It was INTERMITTENT, to boot.
GM knows that certain valve cover versions will suck four quarts of oil out of the crankcase over a weekend, no recall?
The "cylinder cancelling" versions are their own kinda hell.

If you do it, take lots of picture and lots of notes and post them, I'll hang on every posting.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:00 pm

First step CB, is to get a cheap donor GDI vehicle. Something rear wheel drive. Hopefully a pickup.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:32 am

Ooooh, I looked up GDI on wikipedia and found the LT4 Corvette engine.

630 lbs-ft torque, pretty flat curve above 500.
640 HP

Drooling... But at $16K, that's one expensive crate engine... Still less cost than rebuilding my friend's Porsche engine that he blew out on the track...

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:22 pm

I've been distracted. We bought a mini-farm with a beautiful big shop and project garage. Going to take some time to get settled in, lots of neglect to undo. But after that, i need an occasional work truck, 4WD. So i think I'll be going down the path of a donor truck. But it will take time to get there. I'll probably get the donor truck first.

What's your favorite 4WD donor?
Previous

Return to L, R and S