Trying to find Valencia Orange

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: Trying to find Valencia Orange

PaulH wrote:Do I have to repaint? Is there something wrong with school bus yellow?
No, it is just my truck bugs me because the previous owner put a very lite coat of orange on, so the grey primer shows up more when wet, which makes it look bad. Yours though looks beautiful, great choice for the two tone.
015aa.jpg
Last edited by Montyr110 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
55' R-110 w/Intercooled Cummins 4bt, Hoset HX30W, Ford ZF5, Borg Warner 1356 T-Case, Ford 8.8 w/3.73/9800 miles and counting/4x4 swap 50% done

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Here is a picture of my truck, I waxed the bed to see what it looked like. I know that the bed is original factory paint because under the dash is the same color and I figured it would be a good spot to compare because it hasn't seen sunlight. It also looks just like that "L" in the ad.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-08-19-22-17-56_1.jpg
55' R-110 w/Intercooled Cummins 4bt, Hoset HX30W, Ford ZF5, Borg Warner 1356 T-Case, Ford 8.8 w/3.73/9800 miles and counting/4x4 swap 50% done

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:23 am

Monty R110
Thats a nice truck. It kooks to be original other than the repaint. If so you have a good start. There seems to be a bit of fun made of oarnge cars and trucks on different forums. It's all good. I like lighter brighter colors. Everybody paints a 68 mustang red. It gets old. Darker colors are harder to maintain as they age. Black looks great but shows every thing. Its ok for a trailer queen.
Looking at your truck its easy to see what made I.H. of this Era stand out. The long front clip and it looks like you have the nine foot bed.
If you are going to order paint most places will send a color sample to verify its what you want. I have been using TCP Global for my supplies and paint. Im not suggesting they are the best. They are quick with service.
Having original paint to match from you could drive it or trailer it to a local supplier to match it. If its a young kid that can only mix it from a formula and can't make adjustments by sight to make it right then you may as well order it online. As far as quality goes there only about three companys that make paint. I think the quality is comparable
Preparing the truck surface and how its applied is most critical. I like Dupont. You will spend more on supplies to get it ready to paint than you spend on paint..
I hate bodywork but you get the payoff when the paint goes on.
Mike
I get my high on heavy iron, the older and heavier the better I feel.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:09 am

If it weren't for the repaint on the cab I would just leave it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:08 pm

COPY AND PASTE:
If its a young kid that can only mix it from a formula and can't make adjustments by sight to make it right then you may as well order it online
I have confidence in the next generation. If they are doing it incorrectly, the old guy probably taught them to do it that way.
The finished colour of a paint-job may change because of humidity, temperature, the primer colour, the painter and his adjustment of the spray.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Nikinutshop
You are 100 percent on all the things that effect a color being applied. Most important in metalics,2 stage and three stage paint jobs. It is important to start with paint as close as possible to start with.
Where the younger generation is concerned I have faith in general. The ones that apply themselves to the job.
I do run into some in parts stores that dont really seem to want to be there.
I asked for one of those chrystler 6 volt resisters. He said he needed an aplication so I said 79 dodge diplomat.
He didn't find it right away and said they didnt sell them and he had never heard of it. I said you do sell them and have it on the shelf. He got in a huff. Another worker walked back and got it off the shelf without saying anything.
I raised four boys. Two mine and two hers. They were all mine from the day they came into my life.
One thing I stressed is no matter What the job is to do your best. That way you can always go back and it represents who you are..
Three of the four boys have done great. One, I dont know what I could have done different. He is 42 now and missed the boat. I'm rambling

To the young man that owns this truck thats 17. You are showing that you are going to apply yourself to whatever job you do. Use a grey primer.

Nikkinutshop
Thanks for pointing out my inconsiderate statement. I dont know if you have the discount parts stores up north. They have a large turnover. Napa is best.
I get my high on heavy iron, the older and heavier the better I feel.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:47 am

Ditzler PPG 60115, Valencia orange #90, 50-57 IH

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:42 am

NAPA are really good about hiring and training the next generation. Two of the best local NAPA parts persons are female. It must be costly and disappointing when the best efforts of human resources introduce a problem child into their system.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....
Previous

Return to L, R and S