L130 Brakes Question

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:36 am

L130 Brakes Question

Hello
I have an L130 I am trying to make into a safe fun driver to use puttering around town, occasional building supply runs to house and cottage, hauling stuff to the dump. I want to go through my brakes (which actually work now) and replace or rebuild all the cylinders and lines and reline the shoes (I have heard drums are pretty much like unicorns so I will just do a light cleanup on mine unless they are too worn to be safe or damaged in a way I think would be unsafe). Safe brakes are obviously an absolute must do before driving on the road, and 60+ year old seals (at least) and lines have to go.

I looked on Rock Auto and for L130 they only seem to have wheel cylinders. For the R130 they seem to have pretty much everything except the rear shoes. The Raybestos catalog site doesn't list the L130 at all, but they list most brake parts for the R130. The Wheel cylinders seem to have the same part numbers between the L130 and R130.
My question is whether the R130 master cylinder is compatible with the L130? (and also stuff like the flex hoses which would be convenient to be able to just order at the same time).
Thanks
Aaron

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:48 am

Re: L130 Brakes Question

L and R are pretty much same running gear, different sheet metal and some minor mechanical upgrades
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to get some back up opinions before ordering.
Thanks
aaron

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:57 pm

Acrowe wrote:Thanks for the info. I just wanted to get some back up opinions before ordering.
Thanks
aaron

now I'm not saying Rock Auto has the right parts, but IHC ran same running gear pretty much thru the 3 trucks of the 50s, L, R, S, series, they went to smaller drums sometime late 50s?

measure your drums and make sure shoes they list are for same diameter, if they are then they will work,,,,,,maybe
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu May 04, 2017 11:49 am

Acrowe wrote:Thanks for the info. I just wanted to get some back up opinions before ordering.
Thanks
aaron

check out my post on NEW Brake Drums for 50's era IH. perhaps that part number is not the one you need but im sure the contact i put at the bottom can source it out for ya as he did for my 56 hard to find 12 inch drum.

i also found the shoes but they were 12 inches wide, my original shoes was 1 7/8 inches wide .. .took then to a local heavy equipment industry brake lining shop and had the original shoes relined with new pads. along withmy New drums. good luck
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8045

Return to L, R and S