matching numbers?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:26 pm

matching numbers?

So I was at advanced watching them dig for a oil filter for my truck and because of how much they struggled and gave up it made me laugh. Any ways this had me interested to me wanting to see if my numbers match meaning engine and cab. Well I found some weird things the engine block says silver diamond so I know that my 1951 has the sd 220. The tag inside the cab also said sd 220 so it feels pretty cool to know I have a numbers matching vehicle that has been rebuilt top to bottom and looks new even. What got me though was I thought I had the l120 but the tag inside the cab reads l122. The emblem on the sides of the truck says l120 so it has me kind of confused or just a chance someone put a l120 emblem in the past on a l122 truck? Either way I thought it was cool that it has matching serial numbers and from what my understanding is the keeps the value of the truck up correct? Thanks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Re: matching numbers?

Navyboy,
The markings and numbers are correct on your truck. Check out this link- Frequently Asked Questions under 'IHC Light Line Model Numbers' and 'GVW of Your L1??'

http://oldihc.wordpress.com/category/fr ... ions/misc/

Models within a series carried the same badging, regardless of spring capacity.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:51 pm

Navyboy, If your Data plate where it lists the engine serial number, has the same number as the number on the Engine, and the Chassis number on the Data plate has the same number as the one on your chassis, you will have a "Numbers matching" vehicle, at least as numbers matching as would be possible for an IH. The only true way to know if you have an all "original" vehicle, is the Line Setting Ticket. Then things could have been added by the Dealer, instead of at the factory, and still be considered(by some) to be all original.
As was stated Letter designation(L,R,S) 110, 120, 130 would be the badging on the cowl of the truck, what is on the Data plate would be what the Truck is. Mostly spring pack for heavier loads "in class"

Long winded aren't I

Lloyd

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:32 pm

Thank you I'm on the learning curve still on this engine. Give me a cfm56-2 engine and I can tell you all about it though lol.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 pm

I can understand that, when I was Full Time Army, I was real familiar with all the engines in the company. Many, Many moons ago.

Return to L, R and S