Clutch or tranny issue please help

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:25 am

Clutch or tranny issue please help

Hey guys I'm in some desperate help needed here. I have a factory rebuilt 220 In my 51 l 120 and the original tranny from what I can tell. So here is my problem when I go into gear it takes awhile for the truck to take off like the clutch isn't engaging like it should, feels like a slip. I was hoping this could be just a need of a clutch adjustment? If so how do I adjust the clutch? Pics would be great! I'm so worried of the clutch going out. If that how much would I be looking for at a new clutch and where to get one? Are there any other tranny/clutch combinations that will work with this engine? I'm so worried about this issue and it just started. I'm worried about cost of course. Afraid my wife is going to kill me. Please help.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:44 am

Re: Clutch or tranny issue please help

I always start with the simple solutions first, and checking the adjustment is the first step. It's pretty easy...just climb underneath and visually trace the clutch pedal assembly to where it connects with a threaded rod...on that rod is an adjusting nut, which you simply screw backward or forward until you get the desired pedal free play...if you can get ahold of an original or reprint owners manual and/or service manual, they both have diagrams showing how to do it. Hopefully it's just a matter of adjusting the pedal free play...if not, it's cheaper to have your original clutch rebuilt than searching for a whole new set up.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:55 am

So would you think since it feels like its not engaging I would need to tighten are loosen the cable, all my experience is on old vw as I just got this a few weeks back. And what would a clutch rebuild generally cost? Thank you so much. Are there any other components I shoul be worried about or think of replacing? Thanks for all your knowledge. I just don't want this to kill it for my wife. If it turns out to be just a clutch adjustment that would be great just don't understand how one day it works fine and the next I go to drive her and she barely wants to take off into gear at first like she won't catch. The more info and help in detail on this topic for me is greatly appreciative.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 am

You should have a 1 1/2" to 2" of free pedal, when you push on the clutch You should just feel the return spring for that first couple inches, then feel the full clutch resistance. Looking in the back of my head to visualize it I think you need to lengthen the rod. If it is slipping you need to adjust it immediately if not you will burn it out in short order, also the throwout bearing will always be turning if you don't have some free pedal which causes premature wear on the clutch fingers and throwout bearing and you get a lot of bearing noise. MM

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:51 am

MikeMiller/old wrote:You should have a 1 1/2" to 2" of free pedal, when you push on the clutch You should just feel the return spring for that first couple inches, then feel the full clutch resistance. Looking in the back of my head to visualize it I think you need to lengthen the rod. If it is slipping you need to adjust it immediately if not you will burn it out in short order, also the throwout bearing will always be turning if you don't have some free pedal which causes premature wear on the clutch fingers and throwout bearing and you get a lot of bearing noise. MM

I do have noise just started. I'm starting to think I will try the cable if not improved then I may be forced to take it in. My wife just found out and not happy lol.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:03 am

Mike knows what he's talking about....definitely try adjusting the free play first before worrying about a more expensive fix...I had to re-adjust the clutch on my 53 recently...like yours, one day it was fine and the next the adjusting nut had somehow worked loose....anyway, it's a solid rod, not a cable, so you wont' see any external slack or anything like that...you'll have to adjust it by "feel" like Mike describes to where you have 1 1/2 to 2 inches of free play. I you have too much, I believe the adjusting nut needs to come forward, towards the front of the truck. Get a hold of a shop manual and you'll find that a lot of routine adjustments and maintenance tasks are fairly simple.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:21 am

if you lay under the truck, engine off, (blocked for safety, Les b. Safer sez,,) if you reach up to the clutch pedal arm you should be able to pull the pedal down a little & hear throw out bearing "click" against clutch forks, you can adjust the rod in or out to get this freeplay, should be at least 1/2" inch pedal movement before any contact, sometime temporarily removing return spring allows better feel. be sure to reattach spring,

this is the same as brake pedal adjust, there has to be some freeplay, or things don't function right,

there are really two options here, if you have no freeplay, and you can adjust it to get some, your clutch should now function right.
if you have the proper freeplay, and it still is slipping, rebuild time, there is no adjustment on clutch to fix wear,

well, technically you can pull pressure plate, tighten all the springs past factory setting and put it back together, but if you have it apart, better to put in new or rebuilt parts, pressure plate and disc are available, or pressure plate can be resurfaced if in good shape, good time to pull flywheel and have it surfaced too, someone here knows part #s.

hope it is just a matter of adjusting,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:26 am

navyboy, check out this site, has mauals on it:
http://nwaringa.wordpress.com/manuals/

Check in our Library section, there are several other links to information.

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:06 pm

I hope that adjusting your clutch fixes your problem.
I always find it amusing when someone refers to their truck as "SHE or HER". My Father left me with the impression that trucks were male and cars were female. My Dad used to refer to his Binder as a son-of-a-b&*%# and that would indicate his R120, male. There was one time that Dad called his Galaxy 500 a hoe, but I'm sure he was thinking garden tool, because he was a church goer. I also heard Dad also refer to his Binder as a "RAKE" , thusly keeping it male. Rake is a contraction for rakehell, that refers to an unreliable male person with low morals. I suppose that fits when old reliable let him down.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone it turned out to be the clutch adjustment.

Return to L, R and S